500 £250

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: 500 £250

Post by Ljm183 »

Penninelad. just to let you know that the rod you bought is not a very early 60,s made one as the seller has stated , if it was it would have an oval gold leaf transfer with the one word "Chapman" Your,s is one of the later rod,s maybe mid to late 60,s.

It does look a very nice rod you have there. Hope you enjoy using it. :Hat:

Lee.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Many thanks for the information
Mark Davies

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

The 500 is a lovely rod and hasn't suffered with the hype like B James rods in the past but it seems the secret is out and they are fetching more and though they may not reach the prices of say a mk4 avon i still think they are a nicer rod, but £250, would need to be a really special one for that. Mine is pretty special, it cost less than £60 and another £85 for a full strip in down and rebuild including all new cork and aqualite tip and butt guides, far too much at the time, 6 or 7 years ago, but an investment that will last another 50 years, although probably not being used by me then :Wink:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Would the 500 be up to the odd double figure barbel?? Big chub don't really compare to barbel for fighting and I want a rod that will cope with the occasional low double barbel!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

BigFish wrote:Would the 500 be up to the odd double figure barbel?? Big chub don't really compare to barbel for fighting and I want a rod that will cope with the occasional low double barbel!!
In "Bream and Barbel," Peter Stone recommends three Chapman's rods for barbel ...

"I use three rods for barbel. One is the Chapman's Quinette Mk 8 (A powerful rod with a 2lb test curve), and I am confident of landing the biggest barbel that swims on this rod. My second is the Legerstrike which I use for medium-sized fish in fairly snag-free swims. Failing either of these rods, however, a Mark IV, should the angler have one, will suffice in the majority of swims. These are all leger rods and will not be suitable when float fishing, for which I use an Avon type rod.

Many good rods are available, but some are inclined to be a little on the sloppy side. Chapman's Amwell I can recommend, but whichever one you decide upon, make sure the action goes down to the butt."
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

Another vote for the Chapman 500, in my view a much under-rated piece of cane, comparing favourably with other Avon style rods commanding two or three times the price I have two, one with the original rings used for light and touch ledgering, the other re-ringed with high bells for float fishing. However, as Greentura says, the secret is now out and prices are climbing

As to its suitability for big fish, I have caught low double carp using the 500, and assuming you were trotting, in my view it could cope with barbel. The modern “barbel rod” with its test curve of between 1.75 – 2.00 pounds has evolved to cope with heavy terminal leads and feeders rather than the weight of the fish.

There’s a “de luxe” on ebay now.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”