quinette.under ringed?

The Chapmans Rods forum.
ThamesTrotter

quinette.under ringed?

Post by ThamesTrotter »

Hi all, I have a chapman quinette which as yet i've not used,as it is a bit too powerful for the fishing i have been doing.Although a nice looking rod ,when i put a line through it and pulled it into a fighting curve I couldn't help but think it could have done with one or two more intermediate rings.Looking at pictures of other chapman 10 foot rods it seems that a mere 4 intermediates isn't unusual.Has anyone got any thoughts or advice on this?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: quinette.under ringed?

Post by AshbyCut »

When I was ordering new guides from Chapman's a while ago I got chatting about the rod (not Chapman's) I was rebuilding ... and the fact I was adding a couple of extra guides to it. Mr. Chapman shared with me that in the 60's some makers were cutting down on the number of guides as part of a cost cutting exercise to try to compete with the cheap cane rods coming in from the far east.

Now, if I think a rod looks 'unbalanced,' I have no problem with adding a guide or two when putting on a new set ... taping them in place and checking the curve before whipping ... but that's just me.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

ThamesTrotter

Re: quinette.under ringed?

Post by ThamesTrotter »

Thanks ashby-cut, I think that might be a project for the future,get a couple more rings and re-ring the rod I,m sure it will improve it. tight lines.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”