Taking a saw to a rod, would you?

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Greentura
Crucian Carp

Taking a saw to a rod, would you?

Post by Greentura »

A few weeks ago I won a 550 one bay of e and when it arrived the tip had been broken in transit, a shame but the seller offered a full refund and told me to keep the rod, even though I said I could return it. It's a basic version, a little tatty and worn but apart from the tip useable.
I Spoke to John Chapman about the cost of a new tip, and with some other makers and with post, and the dreaded VAT it was around £90, a shame when only 5" was missing. After a few tots of the rather tasty Honey Jack Daniels and my usual search routine on Google for interesting things to add to the rod bag I came across some pictures of a 5 piece rod built by or owned by one of the TFF members and decided a search through spare short tips and parts boxes was in order and by 12.30 last night all parts needed were on the table, as was a hacksaw, tape measure, pencil and sandpaper. All lined up to make each sectio of cane 25' with ferrules alongside I marked and cut the already damaged tip. I thought 'If I do the tip and it doesn't look right there's nothing lost' it looked good so I checked the measurements again and cut the perfectly good mid section of the 550 in two. Trimmed down the corners and dry fitted the ferrules then laid the sections together. One of the tip guides needs moving 3/4" to look right with the ferrule and the handle is longer, but I'm not sure I want to cut that down yet even if a 25" handle would be fine. Now I'm not blaming the alcohol, the lack of sleep or the voice in my head that says it's been done before, I first saw a cane rod cut into shorter sections back in the 80's locally, but, in the same situation, and with all the bits there so not costing anything extra, would you do the same?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Taking a saw to a rod, would you?

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think I would do it Greentura, after all its cost nothing but the bits to make it. I made a holiday rod from a two piece 9ft spinning rod with a broken tip section. It is a very handy rod, in fact I am going to the lakes for the weekend and its coming with me just in case I get the chance of a bit of spinning.

Wal.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I took a saw to a mystery ebay rod to make my Junior MKIV Phoenix Avon which is turning out to be an excellent 9'6" touch ledger rod and an all round river rod.

With a 25" handle you'll probably get a good balance so I would be wary about shortening it!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

The '550/5 is all built up ready for varnishing. I have left all the guides that didn't need to be moved instead of stripping the whole rod, as I don't think I have enough green silk to do them all, and will do that at a later date. Doped all the new whippings and will varnish later but I thought I'd post a couple of pics first. Once altogether it has about an inch sag more than my 3 piece 550 which is down to the weight of the extra ferrules, it's the same whichever way up the rod is so that will do, although it has less sag than many of my other rods. The cork handle has been cleaned up and i've just floured it, so it looks and feels lovely too. The original unlined butt guide id still on it too and i may add a 25mm aqualite to match the aqualite tipp guide i fitted, undecided on that. The ferrules are all too shiny though so they will be blacked next. The way it's turned out from a handful of parts and a free rod makes me wonder why more rods like this haven't been seen around more, common to see in the fly and game world but not in coarse fishing, even just as a way to repair a broken tip section with a much easier to find short tip as in this case, which saved me around £90. total cost of the build with parts etc, less than £20, or £30 if i put the aqualite butt guide on later. Feeling of satisfaction, priceless :Wink:

Before the cut

New ferrules added

All built up ready for varnishing

Grazy

Post by Grazy »

Looks good to me Greentura and I've done far worse deeds after a few JD's so I think you won't regret it especially as that'll fit nicely in the boot of the car as a travel rod for those opportune moments when you stumble across a new pool that just has to be fished!!

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I know a pool that is a long way off any paths that would be perfect to try it on, need a 4 piece landing net handle first though, although i may try one of my old telescopic glass handles, see how long it is when cut in 4 and slid inside each other, might be around 20" when cut and should be around 5'-6' which will be enough and i think i still have a triangular frame net head somewhere :Wink:

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Now that looks better. on the turner and varnished now

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Well done, it looks fine, will fit in a ruck sack / suitcase etc, will be interesting to see its 'action' when it has its first fish on, does Chapmans do a 'smuggler' multi piece ?

Tight lines
Dave

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”