Chapmans to close down

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Greentura
Crucian Carp

Re: Chapmans to close down

Post by Greentura »

As am I, John is still supplying Tonkin and some of the parts I use but will be working from his garage at home. Building and restoring rods as well as running the web business as before. I only have the machinery, and to clear it up for a few people I am not taking over Chapmans, I am making cane blanks and rods finished using their methods and equipment as well as a few other products under the Arcane Traditional Products Ltd name which has its own regestered trademark, I'm not the new Chapmans, but I will build to fill the gap that their factory and its production potential left when it closed.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

I just had a little Chat with John Chapman on the phone.
It has taken him a while to get things set up as he would want . Very soon (few weeks)he hopes to revamp the old website and be doing more in the way of making replacement rod parts and building rods again .

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

That's good to hear . Thanks.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Excellent news!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Thanks for that Keston. That is really good news.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Greentura wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:26 am As am I, John is still supplying Tonkin and some of the parts I use but will be working from his garage at home. Building and restoring rods as well as running the web business as before. I only have the machinery, and to clear it up for a few people I am not taking over Chapmans, I am making cane blanks and rods finished using their methods and equipment as well as a few other products under the Arcane Traditional Products Ltd name which has its own regestered trademark, I'm not the new Chapmans, but I will build to fill the gap that their factory and its production potential left when it closed.
Are you actively making rods now sir? Looked at your site but never seen a rod for sale? :Hat:

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

It has taken far longer to set up than hoped, renovations had to be made to some of the equipment, the power supply to my workshop is still causing me headaches and my health has not helped. I have built several new Craftversa replicas and hope to be making a replica of the rod Walker caught the record on rather than just another Mk4 clone, Chris Sandford kindly provided the tapershe tookfrom the rod and had his own replicas made from to use himself. I am currently working through a thicket of customers rod repairs, restorations and modifications on both cane and other blanks but I hope to be back making my own blanks again soon. My main problem has been the need to keep a roof over my head so paid work has had to come first, coupled with having to have engineering work done, motors refurbished and the learning process of making blanks to a quality I would be happy to sell, which I have to thank not only the Chapman brothers for but Brian Norman for the use of his equipment and knowledge, as well as input from several other cane rod builders. Starting a Cane rod business is harder and far more costly than I expected, the phrase ‘double it and put a ‘0’ on the end springs to mind, and the online abuse has not helped customer building, seems there is still some jealousy from a few, and to make t abundantly clear, I am ‘NOT’ Chapmans, never claimed to be, never will be, and never want to be. I bought machinery and am learning to use it, I set up my own company with some backing from two investors who would rather I had the machinery and kept it together than have some of it end up as scrap metal, which may have happened with some of it. I have orders on my books, they are not internet based people and I have sold rods already being used, new and restored, as well as repaired and restored for customers. I no longer feel the need to try and find the source of the abuse or ready to it, and as I know several people from that group are members of TFF, a group I considered to be made up of gentlemen of honour and integrity, I will not be sharing further posts here. To those who have helped me, and that is many, I will always have my door open.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Greentura wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:58 am It has taken far longer to set up than hoped, renovations had to be made to some of the equipment, the power supply to my workshop is still causing me headaches and my health has not helped. I have built several new Craftversa replicas and hope to be making a replica of the rod Walker caught the record on rather than just another Mk4 clone, Chris Sandford kindly provided the tapershe tookfrom the rod and had his own replicas made from to use himself. I am currently working through a thicket of customers rod repairs, restorations and modifications on both cane and other blanks but I hope to be back making my own blanks again soon. My main problem has been the need to keep a roof over my head so paid work has had to come first, coupled with having to have engineering work done, motors refurbished and the learning process of making blanks to a quality I would be happy to sell, which I have to thank not only the Chapman brothers for but Brian Norman for the use of his equipment and knowledge, as well as input from several other cane rod builders. Starting a Cane rod business is harder and far more costly than I expected, the phrase ‘double it and put a ‘0’ on the end springs to mind, and the online abuse has not helped customer building, seems there is still some jealousy from a few, and to make t abundantly clear, I am ‘NOT’ Chapmans, never claimed to be, never will be, and never want to be. I bought machinery and am learning to use it, I set up my own company with some backing from two investors who would rather I had the machinery and kept it together than have some of it end up as scrap metal, which may have happened with some of it. I have orders on my books, they are not internet based people and I have sold rods already being used, new and restored, as well as repaired and restored for customers. I no longer feel the need to try and find the source of the abuse or ready to it, and as I know several people from that group are members of TFF, a group I considered to be made up of gentlemen of honour and integrity, I will not be sharing further posts here. To those who have helped me, and that is many, I will always have my door open.
Having read this post this morning, I must say that I am dismayed to hear that Greentura has been experiencing negative comments or reaction from members of this forum? I know nothing more than I have read on here, but I would have thought that having another TFF member active in producing or repairing cane rods must be a positive thing. I do not know all of the circumstances, but when I spoke to John Chapman some time ago, he seemed happy with the arrangements that he had made regarding use of some of his stock and/or equipment. I do hope that Greentura can continue with his project, cane users need all the sources they can get! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Very sad to read Greentura's latest post .. Seems that there are some rogues masquerading as gentlemen on this forum ..

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Martin H wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:13 pm
CWK wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:51 pm Very sad to read Greentura's latest post .. Seems that there are some rogues masquerading as gentlemen on this forum ..
I fully agree, but I haven't 'flounced off' yet :Hahaha:

I still believe the vast majority of members here to be beyond reproach, whether they are 'rogues' or not, but I do have trouble getting my head round why all my posts between June 4th and July 16th covering the period I ran the second TART facebook group visit to the Royalty fishery where TARTt group members held a raffle and donated the money to Fishing For Heroes via a link already set up. all my posts and pictures are there on the Facebook group, many were copied and pasted to here or from here to Facebook. Strange. I originally thought the 'troll' I had was regarding a float maker I had had dealings with over something offline until forum names were mentioned in one of the hate messages, I have only used Greentura here and on the Maggot drowners forums, and had not posted ny floats on the latter as it's more of a modern anglers group.

If the thread gets locked so be it, I have nothing to hide and I am open in all my dealings

Andrew.

A bit sweeping that... I'm a rogue, but I don't air my washing on a public forum and Facebook in a vague manner, then flounce off.

As an experienced forum user in other fields, if I don't like whats going on... just leave and never log back in.

If this post gets the thread locked so be it. I expect there is a lot more to this affair that will ever be known, and is
subject to opinion anyway. This forum, in my experience is one of the better ones. Conflict often occurs when businesses
interact with potential customers on an interest based forum such as this.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”