Mystery?

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Rod
Grayling

Mystery?

Post by Rod »

I am in a real pickle, having bought what I thought was a Chapman’s 500, already stripped for restoration, but, and here’s the rub, when I looked at it next to a complete one, it looked a lot different, including the length of the butt section. So I duly got the micrometer out and did some measuring, guess what it is bigger in all respects, as you can see from below.

Chapman’s 500..............................................Mystery blank
Butt = 25’’ ......................................................Butt = 28 ½’’
Mid section = 49 ¼’’............................................Mid section = 48’’
Top section = 48’’...............................................Top section = 49’’

Mid = .418’’ to .326’’............................................Mid = .473’’ to .347
Top = .280’’ to .137’’............................................Top = .307’’ to .133’’
(Please note the extra thickness on the mid section, and the sharper taper on the top section?)

I’m no engineer so I took these readings from as close as possible the same place on each rod, also the Chapman’s had varnish on, where as the mystery blank was bare cane. The length measurements were overall including the ferrules, and the rubber buttons on the handle, one other thing the mystery one has an onion end on the butt, where as my other Chapman’s don’t?
Can any of you knowledgeable gents maybe give me an idea of what I am dealing with here. :Hat:
Just read the other posting on Chapman's closing down, that will be a real loss to us on here. :Cry:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Re: Mystery?

Post by Danny Boy »

would it might be a 550?
have a look at the chapmans site http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/?page_id=382

regards
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Any chance of a photo of the handle ? What is the length of the rod when made up ?
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Sorry to take so long coming back, got tied up over the weekend, whoops, no rude comments on what I just wrote, :Chuckle:
To answer the questions, the overall length of the rod seems to be 10ft 2ins, but I did not want to push the ferrules to tightly together as they have no whipping on them, so I deducted an inch from the measurement. Below is some pictures of the butt and ferrules.

That is the butt.

The ferrules don't seem to be the type used by Chapman's, looking at other pictures of their rods, I could of course be totally wrong in that respect.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Looks like a possible new butt section.

Here's my 500 deluxe.

Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Look,s like a 550 with a rebuilt handle.

The ferrule is OK i have the same on a Quinette , Chapmans did use that type.

Chapman are not closing down , Brian is retiring and John will carry on with the business of cane rod making. From a different location. Updates on the website when the location is known.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Thanks for the help, I will work on the premise that it is a 550 and work from there. then see what happens? :Hat:

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Ok, having decided to take a chance on it being a 550, and liking LJM's colour scheme, what I need now is to find some copper whipping, so can one of you gents point me in the right direction as to where I can get some.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Rod wrote:Ok, having decided to take a chance on it being a 550, and liking LJM's colour scheme, what I need now is to find some copper whipping, so can one of you gents point me in the right direction as to where I can get some.
The copper whipping used on Chapman rod,s you cant buy. It,s made from two strands of very thin copper wire twisted together and then whipped onto the rod over the silk whipping and then varnished.

I bought the copper wire from Maplins and use a Dremel to twist the two strands together.

Copper wire 0.15mm

Lee.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Thanks for the info LJM, will look into that.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”