Chapman 500 Gift!!!

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Mick
Chub

Re: Chapman 500 Gift!!!

Post by Mick »

Thanks Reelmaker, very generous of you, but I do have a full set of intermediates ready to go. On reflection I do like the butt ring and may stay with it, not sure of the advantages of a lined ring. What do you think? Nobby, I will ask Chapmans about removing the tip ring rather than go ahead. Thank you for the night light tip. I will have to source a decent rod bag for it as at the moment it is crammed into a single sleeve bag. Not good. A search online should come up with something. You Gentlemen are very generous and sincere. Thank you.
Regards, Mick

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

I don't think this butt ring is the original Gents. It seems a bit more robust than Chapman's original. Should I stick with it? What do you think? Image

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ellen Lawrence made a bag for my 550 and I still have the plan and measurements I sent her.

In truth I don't know about the advantages of lined rings. Folk all seem to think the tip and butt should be lined but not the rest.....

If you're going to rebuild the whole rod you may as well give it the best.......

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

What a lovely gift Mick, lucky you, why don't you give it an outing or two before rebuilding? From the photos it look good as it is. :Hat:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

A little bit of heat on the tip ring will soften the glue, it should come off very easy as most of the originals fall off on there own..... :tea:

The bag for the 550 will be different to a 500. the handles are different lengths, 550 = 28"......... 500 = 24". :Hat:

I would change the tip ring if it need,s replacing and leave the rest as it is. For now anyway.
You can always renew the rings at a later date, upgrading to the de-luxe spec. or even to the 550 spec.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

That rod looks pretty good as it is, I would give it a bash before doing any serious renovation work. I think the original spec is much what you have there. I do like Chapman rods, and I just know you will once you use it.

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Some good advice, thank you. I am going to take it to the moat on Wednesday, hopefully and put it through it's paces! Will keep you posted!

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

:drool: :drool: :drool: Lucky man!

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”