Chapman Amwell 11ft Bottom rod

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Paul F
Sea Trout

Chapman Amwell 11ft Bottom rod

Post by Paul F »

Just acquired this Chapman Amwell 11ft 3 piece all split cane bottom rod from the 1960's, I should stop buying rods as I am suppose to be saving for a divorce!

I picked it up at a good price, the seller said it was as new having been used a couple of times, which I took with a pinch of salt.

When it arrived, it clearly has been used with loving care, I suspect it has not been used for a good number of years and it looks like it has been stored hanging somewhere dry.

The rings are all clean, the whippings good, I like the green with red tips a nice touch, it is straight as a die, the ferrules are tight and a chapman labeled bag.

The varnish is pretty good, although there are a few dry areas, so I am going to give it a light rub down and a few coats of varnish and give it a session on the river.

Badger
Grayling

Re: Chapman Amwell 11ft Bottom rod

Post by Badger »

Looks in great condition. :Thumb:
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Lovely looking rod.

The Amwell is effectively an 11ft version of a 500 Avon - both have a 1lb t/c.

How do the 2 rods compare? Before I try and find one to possibly purchase!

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Olly wrote:Lovely looking rod.

I am surprised Olly you say it is a version of a 500!

It does not feel as beefy as a 500, it is all through action, I think it will make a good light ledgering river rod for chub etc.

It does seem that a number of chapman rods have a test curve of 1lb

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Olly wrote:Lovely looking rod.

Olly are you saying the Amwell is a copy of a Chapman 500

Only the Amwell being 11ft is a foot longer than a 500 .

If you look on Chapman,s website you will see the Amwell and Shelford use the same blank, but the rod,s have a different amount of ring,s .

The Amwell having the better quality fitting,s and more ring,s.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Oh dear! Not explained myself very well!

Would or could you use the Amwell for similar applications, for chub, tench, light carp, etc, as the 500 as both have the 1lb test curve that many Chapman rods have?? I know it is a foot longer and both are split cane. Usually shorter rods are not as 'soft' as the equivalent t/c longer rod.

Having built F/G rods for many years - since the 60's and carbum since it started - am well aware that F/G and carbum 'soften' with age!

I have a pair of Paul Cook restored Chapman 500s to 500 D/L standard tip & butt rings + a pair of 550s + a Dennis Pye.
Last edited by Olly on Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Olly wrote:Oh dear! Not explained myself very well!

Would or could you use the Amwell for similar applications, for chub, tench, light carp, etc, as the 500 as both have the 1lb test curve that many Chapman rods have?? I know it is a foot longer and both are split cane. Usually shorter rods are not as 'soft' as the equivalent t/c longer rod.

Having built F/G rods for many years - since the 60's and carbum since it stated - am well aware that F/G and carbum 'soften' with age!

I have a pair of Paul Cook restored Chapman 500s to 500 D/L standard tip & butt rings + a pair of 550s + a Dennis Pye.
Hi Olly,

That's clearer for me, I would say by the feel of it, it will be perfect for Chub, tench and light carp, I dare say it will be good for shoal barbel too :Thumb:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Much clearer Olly , the Amwell and Shelford i think would be OK for Chub, tench and carp but i prefer the 500, it being a lighter and more balanced rod.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have found in many areas a 10ft ledger/specimen rod is not long enough and have gradually (not with cane) used longer & longer rods. This started with F/G and carried on with newer materials going from 10' to 11' and then 12' for many ledgering situations. The length was increased to 13' for carp/catfish & Q/T barbel/chub rods. All rods being "in the rest" so as to speak!
When I use my cane rods I miss the extra length used to avoid bankside growth and for holding fish away from the immediate bank. For float fishing & trotting, cane rods, in most forms, are too heavy to hold for longer periods but ideal for stillwaters.

Stick
Dace

Post by Stick »

I have an Amwell that I would say was well used by the original owner. Lovely rod and a nice action to it, distinctly different feel top my 500. I use mine for heavier perch fishing and for chub fishing. Whilst I have had carp to just over double figures I wouldn't choose it for fish of that size. I prefer it to my 500 and use it more often.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”