Chapmans 500

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Benno
Gudgeon

Chapmans 500

Post by Benno »

Hello chaps looking into buying one the only things that appear wrong with it is the gold oval label has torn a bit and the owner says he has whipped some new eyes on but they're not perfect so I was wondering if you are

1) able to buy the gold oval labe to replace it

2) if anyone on the forum can do a good job of whipping them on or if anyone can point me in the direction of someone who could whip the eyes on at the correct distances

Any information would be great

Kind regards

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Re: Chapmans 500

Post by Greentura »

Gold labels not available anymore, but I think John Chapman still has some clear oval lables. The Chapman's website has the ring spacings for many of their rods, Hopkins and Holloway sell the thread, Fishhawk 'A' size in 206 Garnet is a fair match and it's one of the easiest rods to rewhip as no intermediates to do as well, but I'm sure there will be someone near you who can help, where are you?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Looking at the sellers photos, the rings look to be in the right place for a standard 500, it might just be the whipping he,s talking about not being up to a decent standard. As for the Chapman transfer you will have to take the rod to John Chapman before he will sell you a new one. He will not post them out.

You are probably looking at around £100 for a rewhip and varnish from a rod restorer.

Benno
Gudgeon

Post by Benno »

Thanks for the replies I am in camberley I'm very much an amateur when it comes to condition of cane rods so was going on what he had put in the description . I thought John chapman had ceased trading?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Benno wrote:Thanks for the replies I am in camberley I'm very much an amateur when it comes to condition of cane rods so was going on what he had put in the description . I thought John chapman had ceased trading?

John,s still trading, from different premises. You will find his new phone number on the Chapman website.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”