Chapman Beane

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Chapman Beane

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Hi Guys, I have been offered a Chapman Beane rod, does any body know anything about this rod?
I believe it is a light float rod, but how light is light!
Any information or advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Jeremy.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Chapman Beane

Post by Olly »

Unread postby Pandafodder » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:34 pm

Over the years I have put out feelers all around the antiques trade for vintage fishing rods and quite often I get phone calls from people wanting to sell....These people usually have no interest in fishing hence no knowledge of what they are selling but have been told that if it's a cane rod then it's probably worth a lot of money....Well I think everyone on here knows that is very rarely the case yet on the odd occasion it does happen.....A while ago I received a call from a chap with an old rod for sale and he said he wanted £50.00 for it so we met up and at first sight of it I thought a tenner maybe...And then I noticed the Chapman gold label, I thought oh give it a go and gave him his 50 quid....I put this rod to one side for a couple of weeks until I had to ring John Chapman to order a couple of blanks and mentioned this rod and that i had found the word "beane" on it he was quite surprised and told me that as a small boy he used to go with his dad Ron and Richard walker fishing on the river beane that ran along the back of there back garden he also mentioned that sadly his farther did not keep a record of specifications or numbers of rods made in the early days ....So I did some searching and all I could find about the rod was this picture and a small right up about a lilly pad hole and the river beane witch just confirmed what John had said.....I wonder does anyone know anything about these rods.
I restored it and put it on ebay....The interest was astounding and it fetched a good price :o so there's someone out there that knows something....unfortunately I have no pictures of that rod as I foolishly deleted them of my camera after downloading them onto ebay thinking at the time it was "just another rod"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a picture as well.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=11813
Sounds interesting Jeremy :Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

One for sale:-

http://www.antiquevintagefishingtackle.co.uk/id36.html

VERY RARE CHAPMANS "BEANE " FLOAT ROD £165

887011.JPG

NOT MANY OF THESE RODS WERE PRODUCED, VERY RARE, A THREE PIECE WHOLE CANE BOTTOM & MID SECTION, BUILT CANE TIP, HAVING OVAL LOGO, VERY LIGHT FLOAT ROD

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Olly wrote:One for sale:-

http://www.antiquevintagefishingtackle.co.uk/id36.html

VERY RARE CHAPMANS "BEANE " FLOAT ROD £165

887011.JPG

NOT MANY OF THESE RODS WERE PRODUCED, VERY RARE, A THREE PIECE WHOLE CANE BOTTOM & MID SECTION, BUILT CANE TIP, HAVING OVAL LOGO, VERY LIGHT FLOAT ROD
viewtopic.php?f=94&t=11813

That Beane is the same rod being talked about in the link above

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

He is also a Bailiff on a water I fish!

Oh! Forgot to mention can fish Walker's Beane lilly hole.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”