Cane Barbel Rod

The Chapmans Rods forum.
RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Cane Barbel Rod

Post by RBTraditional »

We've had plenty of double figure barbel to over 14lb on both B Jamres MK1V Avon and carp rods and a few on 550s all with a pin, no prolem at all on the Kennet, Medway and Hants Avon but I'm with Snape on this one and use a Cookie built 11ft Fred Crouch barbel perfection on the Wye with a Mitchell 300.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

What about a B James Avocet or similar like a Wizard? Would they be any good for barbel in the 7 to 12lb range?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Santiago wrote:What about a B James Avocet or similar like a Wizard? Would they be any good for barbel in the 7 to 12lb range?
Absolutely agree..
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

It's a chapman 550 guys, collecting it from the Redditch fair. Think it will be a good rod for barbel, chub, carp etc on my local River Derwent and local still waters. Thanks to all for their help and advice, with special thanks to Mick, Sean, Bumble and Wal.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

After my experience with a 550, I have 3, which are more powerful than both my Wizards and my B James Avons I think a 1.75 lb t/c rod (or upwards) is needed in many situations but mostly due to the increase in weight/size of the "average" barbel. In some rivers due to lack of recruitment barbel are mostly doubles, such as the Hants Avon and the Kennet plus it seems the Trent.

In fact I have landed a barbel of just under 10 on an Avon Perfection but in a weedless and treeless snag free swim. However that is not where many barbel can be found - usually because of angling pressure.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Santiago wrote:What about a B James Avocet or similar like a Wizard? Would they be any good for barbel in the 7 to 12lb range?
I've had/ have both, too light in my opinion, I'm with Nigel (Snape) a Mk iv carp or if the budget allows the Bader. :Hat:

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”