I'm so excited...

The Chapmans Rods forum.
PerchBasher

Re: I'm so excited...

Post by PerchBasher »

A good purchase. A much underrated rod in my view, classic Avon action, nicely balanced and comparing favourably with “name” cane rods that will cost two or three times as much. I have two, one re-whipped with high bells rings for float fishing, the other with its original low bells rings for light ledgering, free lining and even spinning for perch. I have landed double figure carp on mine and they have never let me down.

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

Smallscale wrote:I'm so excited!
My local ups centre called yesterday to say that my 500 has arrived!
I'll pick it up tomorrow.
The anticip ation is killing me. :sun:

Your anticipation is well justified, sir.

I acquired a couple from a local chap, that had been fully refurbed by Shaun Linsley (the rods, not the chap selling them :hahaha: ). He tells me he fished for carp in france with them :shocked: . Rather surprising they didn't resemble a couple of hoola hoops after an outing like that, but they are none the worse for wear, and I paid him just £250 for the two. Not at all bad for effectively a matching duo of new Shaun Linsleys; just had to order a pair of new rod bags from John Chapman and the set will be pristine..............but I won't be chancing them in france, that's for sure.

Enjoy your new 500 in good health Smallscale.

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Enjoy it mate! I'm sure you will!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The tip section is usually a little shorter than the middle section to prevent the fragile tip from being exposed to damage when in the bag, as although the middle section has a ferrule to lengthen it the tip section has the tip ring.

The original tip ring was unlined metal and it's more common than not that they have been replaced with another, better ring. Mine too has a Hopton type ring to take a quivertip.

It's the blank that counts...rings and silks can be replaced easilly enough. As long as the ferrules are OK, everything else is fixable, and even they can be sorted too. I've recently found three sources of ferrules so don't worry.

I hope you enjoy the rod.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes they do, though you won't find the original un-lined tip and butt rings anymore.

Personally, I buy all my intermediate rings from Chapmans as they simply don't accept any seconds from the manufacturers. :wink:

For the tip and but rings you might be happy to accept something more recent such as Aqualite lined rings...Chapmans do those too.....

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Yup, get them off chapmans. I recon they give Hopkins and Holloway a right headache-h+h quality control leaves a lot to be desired at timea!

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Nobby wrote:Yes they do, though you won't find the original un-lined tip and butt rings anymore.
Actually Nobby if you ask they might be able to rustle up a ring or two. John got me a tip and butt ring for my 700.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

I wouldn't do agate inters, but myself I like tip and butt.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

mine has tip and butt agates and was like that before restoration although not marked as a deluxe, i have a deluve 550 with the copper whippings and agate butt and tip guides that distinguish it from the standard one, both very underrated rods and a pleasure to use :thumb:

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”