The Hunter

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Duckett
Tench

The Hunter

Post by Duckett »

For some time now I’ve been keeping one eye open to fill one of the many gaps in my cane collection, a longer rod for Tench fishing that could also deal with the Carp up to very low doubles that seem to creep into every good Tench water :Hair out: .

Well, I recently managed to obtain a rod and, to my surprise, based on posts on this site, it was the last one I had expected to find - an early version Chapman Hunter of 12 feet with intermediates and a red rubber butt cap. It’s my first hollow built rod and, even after reading comments here, I’m amazed how light and steely it feels.

Pictures below but I have 2 questions. Firstly, would I be right in guessing 8lb line is The Hunter’s upper limit? Secondly, does anyone know where I might find a Chapman bag long enough for it? It came with a good quality, unbranded bag that is about 2 inches too short!

ImageImage
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Re: The Hunter

Post by Black Prince »

Would chapmans not be able to sell you one it’s worth a phone call I have a b James avocet all built cane rod I use 6lb line and 8lb line tops I use a lighter hook length with these so never over straining the rod it’s self enjoy your new rod :fishing1: mike

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Black Prince wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:40 am Would chapmans not be able to sell you one it’s worth a phone call I have a b James avocet all built cane rod I use 6lb line and 8lb line tops I use a lighter hook length with these so never over straining the rod it’s self enjoy your new rod :fishing1: mike
Many thanks Mike :Hat: Line advice very helpful as I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere. On the bag, I thought Chapmans had ceased trading and that the website was effectively a library resource - a very useful one!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Duckett wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:38 am
Black Prince wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:40 am Would chapmans not be able to sell you one it’s worth a phone call I have a b James avocet all built cane rod I use 6lb line and 8lb line tops I use a lighter hook length with these so never over straining the rod it’s self enjoy your new rod :fishing1: mike
Many thanks Mike :Hat: Line advice very helpful as I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere. On the bag, I thought Chapmans had ceased trading and that the website was effectively a library resource - a very useful one!

Phil
Phil
Chapman's as such are gone but John Chapman has stocks and still continues to do some work with rods etc. I believe his phone number is on the old website which is still accessible .
Kind regards
John

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Keston wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:48 am
Duckett wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:38 am

Phil
Phil
Chapman's as such are gone but John Chapman has stocks and still continues to do some work with rods etc. I believe his phone number is on the old website which is still accessible .
Kind regards
John
Thanks Keston, I shall give him a bell. :Hat:

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

John Chapman kindly sourced a green replacement bag for my F.J.Taylor Roach rod complete with Chapmans label. A top man in my opinion.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Phil Your Hunter is a Mid/late model rather than an early one. It has the later Chapman Badge, the early rods having the gold oval transfer the mid to late rods having the black writing transfer. The one you have is the top of the range model (Standard) as opposed to the NL or SP. models.

I have the SP model it,s the same as the NL but has a metal butt cap and button.

Prices from 1965 Catalogue

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Ljm183 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:00 pm Phil Your Hunter is a Mid/late model rather than an early one. It has the later Chapman Badge, the early rods having the gold oval transfer the mid to late rods having the black writing transfer. The one you have is the top of the range model (Standard) as opposed to the NL or SP. models.

I have the SP model it,s the same as the NL but has a metal butt cap and button.

Prices from 1965 Catalogue
Thanks for this Lee. Must admit I was largely going by the Chapmans website and a chat on here, I think about your SP. The rubber button and intermediates made me think early! The seller made no claims on age. I think I'll bring her down to Sussex in May.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Duckett wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:38 pm

I think I'll bring her down to Sussex in May.
Perfect rod for Sussex as the Carp go up to 8lb - 10lb and the lake being deep in close the 12ft Hunter will be just right. :Thumb:

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

The Hunter is a superb rod - I've been on the lookout for one for some time.
Russ

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”