Peter Stone Ledgerstrike

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Colonelgsc
Roach

Re: Peter Stone ledgerstrike

Post by Colonelgsc »

Thanks for passing that little tidbit on, Mark...........very interesting :Thumb:

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Colonelgsc wrote:Thanks for passing that little tidbit on, Mark...........very interesting :Thumb:
No problem Colonel.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

PershoreHarrier wrote:My thanks goes to Dave Burr who pointed out to me a Peter Stone Ledgerstrike for sale and having met the seller on Friday last a mutually agreeable deal was done and I now find myself the very proud owner of one of these fine rods.

I will try and post a couple of photos later in the week once I have mastered my new digital camera complete with its 30 pages of instructions!!!.

The Ledgerstrike I have acquired varies from Mark's in that I believe it is a late one with black whippings to the rings, the butt ring is agate lined and tip ring is I think white porcelain lined. There are no intermediate ties, the reel bands are black and the cork handle has no butt rubber but is finished with a flared corking as per my Chapmans 550.

My Ledgerstrike is completed with a rubber type ferrule stopper similar to those provided by Chapmans when they restored my 550 and the green rod bag with Chapmans logo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Stopped smiling yet? :Thumb:

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

This very interesting thread has caused me a little head scratching :Confused:
The confusion is over the spelling of the word 'LeDGerstrike' or 'LeGerstrike' as I'm used to calling this lovely wand. I've been using the latter as Stoney himself uses that spelling in his 1961 book ' Rod Building'; indeed, his magnum opus, 'LeGering', is spelt with a 'G' , not a 'DG'. Checking both my wands, I see the spelling is consistent with the other rods in this thread, i.e. using the 'DG' spelling.
I suppose, as it's the RODS we're talking about, I ought to start using the 'DG' spelling myself from now on.

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Dave Burr wrote:Stopped smiling yet? :Thumb:
Not one bit - looking forward very much to giving it an outing. Your request by the way will be fully honoured and I will bring it with me when I come down to see you on the Wye.

I do like the look of the taper and having put some line through it the action is rather fine.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Very nice PH. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

James wrote:
GarryProcter wrote:Is that the fly rod that I waggled James? If so, then I can well believe he was pleased, it was magnificent, and has got me thinking (and saving...). There you go Nobby, I didn't mention Craftversas at all. OOPS, sorry :Happy:

With luck, and a following wind, and my getting up sufficiently early, I might well see you at the Redditch show (I should be on my way back up north after a couple of days in the south).
Yes Garry that was the rod,got talking to another rod maker about translucent whippings, they came out ok. Look forward to see you at Redditch.

I adore those transluscent whippings Andrew . Are they antique gold and black ?. I think Gary Marshall has that colour scheme as his signature if I'm not mistaken ... Lovely , lovely rod ...

James
Rudd

Post by James »

Thanks Colin , they are amber tipped with a dark burgundy .it took me years to get such a good finish with translucent silk.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

It is a thing of beauty James, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”