Quinette MK8

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Greentura
Crucian Carp

Re: Quinette MK8

Post by Greentura »

A couple of weeks ago I was asked by a local shop to have a look and put a value on some old tackle, amongst them was another Mk8 Quinette, along with a mk7 Quinette trotting rod, Dennis Pye pike rod and a B James mk4 which needed a small repair to the butt guide. There were reels and a pair if Herron alarms as well. I gave a valuation based on prices at auction and condition as best as I could and recommended a valuation by someone else to confirm that and that if the Quinettes were being sold I'd be interested. Second valuation done and I was contacted but told all as one lot or no sale. A price was negotiated and I scraped together enough, just, and now have a pair of Quinette mk8's the new one is going to Mike Harris as the last one did as it too has a slight set and although useable it would be nice to have it fully restored and matching the first one. The mk7 is mint as is the Denis Pye, both look unused and apart from a scrape on the varnish half way up the tip and the solder failed on the butt guide so does the mk4, both repairs done now. I was told there were only about 50 mk8's made and 2 are now mine :Cool: they have more power through the middle and butt but are softer in the tip than a mk4 and a joy to use, highly recommend getting one if you find one :Thumb:

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I think there was a lot of discussion in one of the classic angling books about the design of cane rods with odd numbers of flats. The design theory is that the rod won't flex with flats opposite each other and therefore be stiffer for the weight. Either a ridge between flats would be on the outside of a bend or the inside. Perhaps I dreamt it !

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Yes SofaSurfer, Richard Walker in 'Rod Building for Amateurs' discusses the merits of different cross sections. He says that in comparing rods of equal cross-sectional area, there is a small increase in stiffness in rods with fewer sides. Four being stiffer than five, five stiffer than six etc but there is a subsequent increase in stress.
He concludes that "On balance , therefore, there is nothing to be gained by departing from the popular hexagonal construction for polygonal split-bamboo".

Pete

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Pete,

Thanks, I didn't imagine it ! I think I have read the book, but it's not in my book case. I usually agree with Richard Walker on everything as he was an engineer. This stuck in my head because I wasn't totally convinced by his explanation. Must find the book and re-read it :-)

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

I have the Mk7 Quinette which has had it's fair share of use. Chapmans made a replacement tip section for the tired original
cane for me last year.
The build itself has shown no sign of stress or delamination and has easily handled a 20lb Common, on 4lb line in open water,
since it's rebuild.
I wonder if Walker's opinion was based only on theory?
In practice the Mk7 has a crisper action than a Craftversa for example.
The offset verticle glued strip on the reverse side of the rings gives a spine effect, which gives a quicker straightening moment. Lovely.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

I'm sure it was based on theory but it's important to remember that Walker was talking of "comparing rods of equal cross-sectional area" and the increases in stiffness and stress are small.

There are plenty of people still making 5 sided fly rods.

Pete

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I'll definitely have to read up on this now ! Abe books here I come :-)

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

My assessment of the power of the Quinette mk8 is also due to the different taper to a mk4 six sided rod, although the spine from having a flat opposite a point may also play a part, the action of my Quinette mk7 is similar to that of my Peter Stone ledgerstrike (2 piece not 600) which is six strip construction and again is more powerful in the butt section than my mk4 avon, all rods supposedly being 1lb test all the chapmans rods seem softer in the tip and nicer to play fish on, crisper and as said the get back in shape quicker which makes casting and mending the line when trotting easier

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

Thanks GT, That's Tilted it. A Ledgerstrike is now added to my Wishlist. I was trying to avoid any List Enlargement Garn it!

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

The ledgerstrike is a fine rod beautifully balanced and power beyond what it's specifications would lead you to believe. I had an 8lb barbel on it in the summer which put up the usual barbel fight but was no match for the ledgerstrike, also had a few carp while perch fishing with it, the biggest about 12lb, but no perch that day. I'm out with it Monday and with the Mk7 Quinette trying to find a 3lb perch, :Wink: but anything will do in this weather

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”