FJ Taylor Roach Rod

The Chapmans Rods forum.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: FJ Taylor Roach Rod

Post by PershoreHarrier »

A 260mile round trip to Chapmans workshop yesterday with the FJT Roach rod has revealed some cracking in the cane in the area of the female ferrule believed to have been caused by the ferrule being too hot when it was fitted to the cane.

However, it is repairable without shortening the rod and Chapmans have very kindly confirmed that they can do the work for me and the rod will be fully serviceable and no special measures will be required in using it.

I must say I received a tremendous welcome at the workshop and accepted the offer of a cup of tea but declined the offer of a custard cream biscuit as I am trying to shed a few pounds. It really is quite refreshing to receive a level of service and attention that seems to have been mostly lost in the modern day.

Another trip to Ware looms in due course to collect the rod but the hassle of the M.40 and M.25 is a small inconvenience to pay.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

They're a lovely couple of fellers aren't they?
And their skill and knowledge is beyond price.

Everytime I've been there they've done some little extra favour to help me out, be it removing a ferrule I needed to re-use or just showing me how to do things, what tools to use, how to make something......I always leave the richer just for having been there.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Top guys Nobby - no doubt - they rebuilt my 550 in the mid to late 1980s - which turned out to be like the history of Triggers broom as the only salvageable bits on the it were the ferrules, the reel fittings and part of the handle so to sort out the FJT should at least not be so extensive.

We will be much the poorer when they retire.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

One of my 550's is a sort of 'triggers broom' too, when i got it the handle and tip were ok but a previous owner had already had a new handle made for it and then it's last owner fell on it and broke it just before the butt guide, I bought another with a short tip and mouse eaten handle and made a good one out of the two, then promptly broke the tip section about a third of the way from the ferrule, damn this wonky knee !!!. Anyway, I still had the broken tip from the donor rod and decided to add an extra ferrule in and cut the two tip sections to length and make another, that done I also cut the mid section and added another ferrule there too. No actual new bits used but it's a very useable travel rod, I call it the '550/5' . Must make a trip to Chapmans some time, I need to order a new section for my ledgerstrike after breaking 6" off of the tip on the Royalty earlier this year :oops: , a good excuse to collect it and hook up with some friends that way :Wink:

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”