chapman 500 avon line rating

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Ezeeman
Minnow

chapman 500 avon line rating

Post by Ezeeman »

Hi, I've just acquired a 500 avon. What pound line is the recommended range for the rod?
I apologise if this has been discussed at length in the past!

Thank you.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Re: chapman 500 avon line rating

Post by Bobby Marlene »

I don´t know how to post a link to a thread but there was a thread on line rating for a mkiv avon. If you search for mkiv line rating you will find it, or perhaps another member can help with the link. I think there is a rule something like 6 times the testcurve of the rod, for the chapmans 500 that would be 5-6 lbs line. I am sure someone will correct me, though...
Welcome to the forum!
Best, Bobby

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

That's about right Bobby. I use 6lb or 8lb line on my 500 with hook lingths of 4lb to 6lb. The best match feels to be 6lb main line with an appropriate hook length.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I do 5lb per 1lb test curve +/- 20% = 4-6lb.

I do use 6lb mono on mine & no braid!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I would agree with 4-6lb.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Ezeeman
Minnow

Post by Ezeeman »

Thanks a lot for the advice.I've just loaded a Mitchell 300 with 6lb drennan supplex - interestingly the whole spool went on a shallow match spool that i used to load with 3lb line - i guess thats higher tech lines for you...My old Mitchell s, a 300 and a 440 are the most suitable reels I have...I can see a centre pin looming... v excited to give the rod a go; I mainly catch barbel in the 3-8lb bracket plus a smattering of chub - so I hope the 500 will be ideal!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Ezeeman wrote:Thanks a lot for the advice.I've just loaded a Mitchell 300 with 6lb drennan supplex - interestingly the whole spool went on a shallow match spool that i used to load with 3lb line - i guess thats higher tech lines for you...My old Mitchell s, a 300 and a 440 are the most suitable reels I have...I can see a centre pin looming... v excited to give the rod a go; I mainly catch barbel in the 3-8lb bracket plus a smattering of chub - so I hope the 500 will be ideal!
It should be ok, although an 8lb barbel in flow will go you a run for your money! Fun though. :Happy:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Ezeeman
Minnow

Post by Ezeeman »

...yes, an 8 would be fun I'm sure! A couple of double s have come out recent ly from my regular haunt. Eek! Although the river never carries much flow. Maybe ill target the roach and the suprising tench instead. ..

Does the 500 work well as a float rod as well as a light leger rod?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I generally only use it for light ledger fishing but it'll cope with a heavier float for chubbing etc.

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

I use my Chapman 500 with 6lb Drennan Float Fish for the same sized barbel as you Ezeeman. This line allows me to trot or leger at will. I've yet to lose a fish to snapped line on this combo.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”