Allcocks Peerless

The Allcocks Rods forum.
JohnRichards
Stickleback

Allcocks Peerless

Post by JohnRichards »

Hi Guys,

I have been offered one of these rods but not yet seen it. I am assuming it to be an ordinary Spanish Reed Match Rod with a split cane top. If anyone has one of these I would be grateful if they would let me know.

Thanks

John

Albert47
Dace

Re: Allcocks Peerless

Post by Albert47 »

I have a 12ft version of the Peerless.The butt and mid section are Spanish reed,the tip being split cane, spliced into whole cane.Although designed for small fish,I have landed carp to 8lb on it,with no ill effects.A pleasant rod to use.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I have one and, to be honest, it’s a pretty basic rod in terms of action.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

JohnRichards
Stickleback

Post by JohnRichards »

Thanks guys. My intention is to find a twelve or thirteen foot match rod like I had as a kid and refurbish it with modern rings. I am trying to work out what to buy.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

If it has to be cane or reed then the milwards featherlite is a very light rod at 12ft but the 14 ft version is a bit top heavy. A good alternative is a Bruce and Walker ctm, if you dont mind glass.

Wal.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

JohnRichards wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:19 am Thanks guys. My intention is to find a twelve or thirteen foot match rod like I had as a kid and refurbish it with modern rings. I am trying to work out what to buy.
What type of rod did you have? Can you describe it? What do you want to use it for?

When you say modern rings, do you mean modern Seymo or Fuji-type rings? That would generally be considered quite unusual (and unnecessary) on a cane rod. You can replace chrome stand off with new mequivalent from Hopkins and Holloway. There are many fantastic examples of refurbished rodshere - and how to do it - if you search the forum.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Have a look at this thread re. my Peerless.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=25651&hilit=peerless

JohnRichards
Stickleback

Post by JohnRichards »

Unfortunately I lost the peerless. If I remember correctly it was a 12ft. Spanish Reed with the top half of the top joint split cane. Possibly hand built. For the life of me can't remember what I did with it. I replaced it with a 14.5 ft Milbro Enterprise. I gave up fishing for thirty five years. Have started again in the past few years but don't get out that often.

I have memories of constantly rewhipping my rod because grooves in the rings but I suppose the quality was not like today. I will look into Hopkins and Holloway alternatives. Thanks for your help.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

John, I have so many rods now that I am probably never going to use my Peerless so if you wanted one then I would sell mine on. If I say so myself it does look quite stunning despite all the work I did on it and I’d guarantee it is good for a another fifty years.

PM me if you are interested, all the best. I am going to Redditch next Sunday if you wanted a waggle.

Phil

JohnRichards
Stickleback

Post by JohnRichards »

That is awfully kind of you but I bought an Edgar Sealey the day before yesterday.

Thanks anyway

John

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”