ALLCOCKS CARP/AVON..INFORMATION NEEDED PLEASE

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

ALLCOCKS CARP/AVON..INFORMATION NEEDED PLEASE

Post by Sussex Micky »

I recently made a few floats for a friend who said he had a rod given to him , he mentioned he had no intention to sell the rod but would like to know a little about it.

The rod has only been used a couple of times from new and was handed down to him when his father passed away and the memory means more than money ..hence he would rather keep it , if the time ever came when he changed his mind I would get first offers

My friend said he can pin point as near the purchase of this from new to the year 1967 ish
On the rod it has the words "Carp .Avon " ..it has a sliding reel fitting

the two tip sections have Carp on one, and Avon on the other...the rod in my opinion is pristine and is obvious it has only been used a couple of times..it comes with the original allcocks rod bag

I would be grateful for any imformation / rarity and maybe some present day value so he might insure it
please see the pictures
micky :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: ALLCOCKS CARP/AVON..IMFORMATION NEEDED PLEASE

Post by Wallys-Cast »

That's a very rare rod I believe Micky and in original condition. I think you are right with its date, it is in my 1967 Allcocks catalogue as new for 1967.
As to value I would think around the £300.00 mark but if two serious collectors were up against each other it could go up to around £500.00.
If your friend is thinking of insuring it I would suggest he goes for £500.00 to cover it against total loss but it would be interesting to hear what others have to say...

Wal.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've not seen one in those colours before and it does look to be in exceptional condition. They come up for sale from time to time but I've yet to see an example as good as this.

Before I'd even read Wal's reply I was thinking £300. Having read his reply I'd agree and insure it for more but only if your insurer is offering you an agreed value. The problem you'd have is replacing it were it to get stolen and it's arguable that you'd have to have somebody like Paul Cook make a replica. Therefore I think you need to have a conversation with the insurer to see if they are covering it's value (which I'd put at about £300) or if they are covering replacement value. That might be around £1,500 given that it's maybe an unused cane rod with twin tips.

If the latter you can expect the insurer to do some research and they may not agree with the new build price. Your defence is that it's going to be well nigh on impossible to buy another like it so having a replacement built would be your only option. They probably exist tucked away in collections…

A very good rod in exceptional condition. A very nice gift.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I have one of these rods and yes it is exactly as the on in the photographs - right down to the colour of the ties / whippings. One top is marked Carp and the other is marked Avon. Mine also came complete with the correct Allcocks rod bag. My rod has been lightly used is a straight as the day it left the works and the only reason I have yet to use it is the whipping around the female ferrule has deteriorated such that it needs replacing. As my skills in rod restoration would probably border on the 'criminal' my rod is booked in to a professional rod restorer later this year to have its whippings / ties resolved in a proper manner.

The rod appears in the 1967 and 1968 Allcocks catalogue but I don't have a 1969 catalogie so cannot comment for that year and beyond.

Mine came for a very modest price from a member of this Forum and it would not be appropriate therefore to reveal the figure other than for me to say a very big thank you to him.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I have it on very good authority that a chap called Dave Burr wants one of those very, very much :drool:

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

Many thanks for the above imformation
micky :Hat:

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

Dave Burr wrote:I have it on very good authority that a chap called Dave Burr wants one of those very, very much :drool:
Okay Dave ..I might be able to sway him , I guess a grand might cover the rod and my expenses :whistle:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Oh! Have to think about selling mine if it is £500 -- or thereabouts!

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

I had one with just the Carp top, it cost me about £120 a few years ago, I guess one in that condition with both tops has to at least double that.

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

Olly wrote:Oh! Have to think about selling mine if it is £500 -- or thereabouts!
be my guest :whistle:

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”