Allcock President - help needed for restoration

The Allcocks Rods forum.
CharlieSimpson

Allcock President - help needed for restoration

Post by CharlieSimpson »

Hi

Ive inherited my Dads Allcock President 7' rod but Im a little puzzled as to its age. Dad was a lad in the 40s and early 50s. He would only have fished on the coast mainly Devon and mainly from a boat. My Mum thinks that the rod was my grandfathers which would but it in the 20s and 30s.

Looking at the site it looks as if the President was a short caster/boat rod which would fit my grandfather/Dad. One post on the site says that the President was made for the US and Canadian market. This has confused but could be as we had a US airbase near us in WW2.

For sentimental reasons Id like to restore it and get it used. I really only fish on the coast and spin for mackerel now and again. I work with a keen fly fisherman who can re whip etc etc

Its a 7' 2 piece cane rod with brass fittings and a gold oval Allcocks label

So
Possible age?
Where do I get some replacement rings? There a 3 rings approx 10, 9 and 8mm with a 7mm tip ring with legs

Any help is gratefully received

Charlie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Re: Allcock President - help needed for restoration

Post by Wagtail »

As listed in the 1938 Allcocks Guide....

Short casting rods... we supply to the American and Canadian markets. . They are suitable as ordinary light spinning rods for pike, salmon or big trout, and make good boat rods for salt or freshwater fishing.

C3413 The "President." 2 - joint, built cane, solid cork handle, porcelain bridge rings, bronzed ferrules, sliding reel fitting, rubber button, partitioned bag, 6 feet, weight (approx.) 6 1/2 ozs., 26/6. 7 feet weight (approx.) 11 1/2 ozs., 31/- each.

Yours don't appear to be ceramic guides so might not be from 1938. I suspect you will be hard pushed to replace the rings with matching ones, but if they are not damaged beyond use you might find a gentle rub over with a metal polish (dare I say Brasso) will bring them up nicely.
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

As Wagtail says those rings are almost certainly nickel silver and they will polish up nicely, so if the agate ling is OK you will be able to re-use them.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

JAA

Post by JAA »

SeanM wrote:As Wagtail says those rings are almost certainly nickel silver and they will polish up nicely, so if the agate ling is OK you will be able to re-use them.
I've got a 'Perfect' with similar rings and they do come up well.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I have found that some of these rings are only nickel-silver plated, so a few strokes on the surface that will touch the cane might be advisable first. I got the old wire wool on one recently and exposed bare brass before I knew it :Angry:

CharlieSimpson

Post by CharlieSimpson »

Thanks for the updates. In terms of what is 'broken'. The tip ring metal has snapped, bottom ring intact, middle ring gone completely, top ring intact but only just. My thoughts were to replace all the rings.

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

Perhaps a bid one these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-AGATI ... 27fb630124

Or try the USA ebay site where rings like this come up more often.

Paul

JAA

Post by JAA »

Charlie, if you swear on Isaac's soul not sell these on ebay and use them on your rod, you're welcome to them...the largest is cracked, the others are good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CharlieSimpson

Post by CharlieSimpson »

@ JAA
That's is a great offer and one that I will gladly accept. Thanks v much

Pinkster
Roach

Post by Pinkster »

I have literally just bought a President from the bay of fleas!
I have the 1938 catalogue and noticed it quotes the rod as 6'...the one I have bought is 7'!
Any thoughts
It comes with original caremic lined eyes that look in good condition,,albeit they will need a good clean.
The whole rod will need refurbished but it looks a worty job.

G
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”