An "S. Allcock & Co Ltd. 'Light Caster.'"

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Gord
Crucian Carp

Re: An "S. Allcock & Co Ltd. 'Light Caster.'"

Post by Gord »

I have 2 both with just the spiral writing but one has the screw winch fitting and the other has sliding reel which I think is about 1933-1938 but I am not sure when just the spiral script without the label was used any way I like them alot
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

I have one too, very nice rods.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Rod wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:18 pm I have one of these, but it had been stripped ready for refurbishment before I obtained it, I can see by AC's photo's, that is whipped in a dark red, but can anyone give me the spacing's for the the rings, please, as I would like to put it back as near as possible.
Rod :Hat:
PS, just to confirm, the rings look like lo bell's?
Have you got the ring spacing sorted yet Rod? If not I will look mine out and measure it for you.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Morning JC, the answer is no, I haven't the foggiest of the spacing, I have had a good search through the forum, but no luck, I would be very grateful if you could stick the ruler on your one, mine by the way is the later type, with the screw reel fixing, and slanting oval logo.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'd always assumed the screw down reel fitting came about post-War, but that transfer is clearly pre-War so we now know the reel fitting was available far earlier than I had ever imagined....

Does anyone else know of another rod with a screw-down reel fitting that is pre-War? Maybe it's another Allcock invention....or maybe someone else's and they let them use it.....??

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Rod wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:46 am Morning JC, the answer is no, I haven't the foggiest of the spacing, I have had a good search through the forum, but no luck, I would be very grateful if you could stick the ruler on your one, mine by the way is the later type, with the screw reel fixing, and slanting oval logo.
Give me a day or so and I'll get the info to you, I'm sure my rod is the slanting gold oval label type too. If you don't hear from me within a day or so please send me a reminder!! :Thumb:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Rod wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:46 am Morning JC, the answer is no, I haven't the foggiest of the spacing, I have had a good search through the forum, but no luck, I would be very grateful if you could stick the ruler on your one, mine by the way is the later type, with the screw reel fixing, and slanting oval logo.
Ok, heres the ring spacings for the Light caster:

Top section, measuring from the top of the tip ring:
12 1/2"
29 1/2"
Butt section, measuring from the end of the ferrule:
10 1/2"

All rings on my rod are agate lined (or lined with something red) and are what I would describe as bridge rings?

Hope that helps.
Jeremy.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Hi, JC, thanks for the info, I am just surprised that there are only three plus tip ring, seems quite frugal, but you are right, as that matches the advert posted in this thread, but that just means less whipping :Chuckle: . I will post some photo's when I have got it all done.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Jeremy Croxall, sorry to come back on you like this, but could you please give me the dimensions of the butt eye, you know, the internal and external measurements :Thumb:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Rod wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:05 pm Jeremy Croxall, sorry to come back on you like this, but could you please give me the dimensions of the butt eye, you know, the internal and external measurements :Thumb:
The Butt ring on mine measures 17mm internal, 25mm external.
Hope that helps. :Hat:

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”