An "S. Allcock & Co Ltd. 'Light Caster.'"

The Allcocks Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

An "S. Allcock & Co Ltd. 'Light Caster.'"

Post by AshbyCut »

I've just pounced on what looks like a very early and original Allcock's "Light Caster" ... a 2 piece, 7ft., split cane spinning rod which has an enormously long history.

It was listed in the 1939 catalogue with the lines "Thousands of these rods have now been sold, and seldom can any pattern have given such universal satisfaction" ... so we know they pre-date that year ... and apparently they were still being sold into the mid 1960s !

This one has the early green and gold "S. Allcock & Co Ltd" oval transfer, spigot ferrules, and what look like very pre-war guides to my untutored eyes.

And yes ... even in 1939 it was fitted with the 'screw winch fitting' for the reel.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul D

Re: An "S. Allcock & Co Ltd. 'Light Caster.'"

Post by Paul D »

Now that IS lovely Mal, well done :Hat:

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

That's in fantastic condition Mal!

Do you plan to target enormous pike this time?
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

LuckyLuca wrote:Do you plan to target enormous pike this time?
"Don't tell him, Pike !!!" ;-)

(more likely canal perch)
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Rod Turner wrote:I'd think 1939 was probably about right with that Allcocks transfer. The very early (c.1933) Light Casters had sliding winch fittings (reel bands). They even made them in greenheart at that time!
Great information RT, Sir. Thank you. :Hat:

Pinkster
Roach

Post by Pinkster »

I too have recently got my hands on one Mal....exactly the same as yours, with the hand written legend and green/gold oval label.
I plan on pairing it up with an Intrepid Classic or a Mitchell 304 and aim for the "Striped Warrior"!

G
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Pinkster wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:37 pm I too have recently got my hands on one Mal....exactly the same as yours, with the hand written legend and green/gold oval label.
I plan on pairing it up with an Intrepid Classic or a Mitchell 304 and aim for the "Striped Warrior"!

G
I have one Pinkster but it has a gold oval label, I wonder why?
You can see a pic here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=22016&hilit=lightcaster
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:31 pm
Pinkster wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:37 pm I too have recently got my hands on one Mal....exactly the same as yours, with the hand written legend and green/gold oval label.

G
You can see a pic here:
Yours is a little later Jeremy, lovely looking rod, I would say 50's. Have you used it? :Hat:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Paul D wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:24 pm
Jeremy Croxall wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:31 pm

G
You can see a pic here:
Yours is a little later Jeremy, lovely looking rod, I would say 50's. Have you used it? :Hat:
I used it in Whitby harbour Paul, only caught crabs! I want to try it out on the Derwent for Trout and or Perch or maybe Chub? (desperate to catch a Chub)
Fingers crossed eh?
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

I have one of these, but it had been stripped ready for refurbishment before I obtained it, I can see by AC's photo's, that is whipped in a dark red, but can anyone give me the spacing's for the the rings, please, as I would like to put it back as near as possible.
Rod :Hat:
PS, just to confirm, the rings look like lo bell's?
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”