Allcocks, lightening strike

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Blackbinki
Stickleback

Allcocks, lightening strike

Post by Blackbinki »

Just seen this on ebay, strange looking gold oval ,odd whipping, a new one on me. Has anyone ever heard of it?.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Allcocks, lightening strike

Post by Olly »

It is stated - "it could be Allcocks", a split cane tip spliced rod painted black in middle & butt.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I could be entirely wrong, of course, but I think that it might be not the more famous S.Allcock's, Sir, but by the firm of W. A. Allcock of Redditch who existed in the late '50's and '60's. They used a red lettered transfer logo at some point.

They eventually stopped rod making and became tackle wholesalers (according to a posting on the Redditch Local History Forum) :-

http://www.serifwebresources.com/phpBB2 ... mid=296775

It may have been a break-away company from the larger Allcocks. They made an all split cane rod called the 'Adonis' which seems to have been quite highly regarded as a barbel rod of the times ... and a 12ft rod called the 'Princess' which seems to have been a very similar construction to the one you've seen :-

http://www.reelantiqueangling.co.uk/12- ... ncess.html

It seems that they also made a 'Prince' match rod of Spanish Reed/whole cane/split cane construction.

Very little is known about the company, though Nobby has some information.

The one on ebay has the black lacquered finish and very similar whippings which marked out the Precision Rods (of Redditch) match rods of the 1940's and '50's.

Not much help, I know ... but I hope it helps.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Not certain but I think that's a Poolson rod.

Wal.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Update ... I've had a response from the vendor to a message I sent.

Although the listing details state "may be Allcocks, lightening strike on label" it isn't, of course. I thought it meant that it said 'Allcock's' on the label which is why I suggested it might be a W. A.

The message confirms that (of course) Wal is correct. The message states 'It says " lightening strike, pools on red ditch" '

Poolson it is. Well done Wal, Sir. :Hat:

(I was worried that it might be a Precision Rods I hadn't heard of !!! :Chuckle: )
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Clever buggers, well done Chaps. :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I thought the Label looked familiar and realised it was the bargain Poolson Royal rod I bought earlier this year. The handle cork and furniture is the same too. If the cane is as good it will be a very nice rod for someone.

Mal, I loved the "Pools on red ditch" it sounds like one of those cryptic crossword clues. :Hat:

Wal.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Wallys-Cast wrote:Mal, I loved the "Pools on red ditch" it sounds like one of those cryptic crossword clues. :Hat:
That was exactly how the vendor said it was printed on the label Wal, Sir. :eyebrow:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I thought mentioning tackle currently on sale on eBay was against the forum rules. I might have considered bidding on that rod!! :Angry: :laugh1: :laugh1:
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”