Allcocks - why oh why were the labels on the underside of the rod?

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: Allcocks - why oh why were the labels on the underside of the rod?

Post by Duebel »

Looking through my rods, I've just found that Allcocks weren't the only rod makers to put the label on the 'wrong' side.

This is my DAM Saale, a lovely avon rod made in the late 50ies.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

I second that with my DAM "King" , a 7' spinning rod of the same era. Well done and thanks for sharing Martin. Lovely to see!
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

There is a well known modern rod manufacturer who also puts the logo on the underside, so it's not unique to yesteryear. I won't include the name in case the Forum implodes or melts and Mark thinks it's down to the software upgrade :surrender:

Even today's rods can throw up mysteries. I bought a set of 5 of them, 4 have the name underneath, one has no name at all :shocked: I asked the seller about it some months after buying them when I bumped into him again, and it transpired that he had worked for the said manufacturer and the unnamed one was one of the prototypes he was given to evaluate, the other 4 were the production run models for the general public.

His take on the logo's underneath elicited two reasons. A) It made the rod look sleeker and uncluttered. B) The rods had very distinct features and therefor would be recognised by this and create a selling point.

Quite a different way of doing things and quite a move away from cane rods where nowadays the logo and nomenclature can make the rod more desirable and valuable regardless of the actual action of the rod in some cases.
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

This was a post that was lost in the software upgrade so I thought I would add here that I finally decided to have the label on top! One coat of varnish on the butt section now just working through the whippings on tip and middle.

This is a rod that shouldn't have been refurbished really as it was a total wreck. I have repaired massive gaps in a worn out handle, a split in the reed butt section that has been repaired through splicing in a length of carbon, the spliced tip was broken off so I have replaced it (with an Aspindale tip, which is perfect) and finally repaired a split in one of the ferrules with a brass sleeve! It really has been a labour of love and I can't wait to finish it and catch a nice chub! Photos to follow of the full restoration when it's done.

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Tengisgol wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:35 am This was a post that was lost in the software upgrade so I thought I would add here that I finally decided to have the label on top! One coat of varnish on the butt section now just working through the whippings on tip and middle.

This is a rod that shouldn't have been refurbished really as it was a total wreck. I have repaired massive gaps in a worn out handle, a split in the reed butt section that has been repaired through splicing in a length of carbon, the spliced tip was broken off so I have replaced it (with an Aspindale tip, which is perfect) and finally repaired a split in one of the ferrules with a brass sleeve! It really has been a labour of love and I can't wait to finish it and catch a nice chub! Photos to follow of the full restoration when it's done.

Personally I would have kept the decal facing down but hey that's me ! Love the whippings, what did you use? They really complement the cane. :Hat:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

[/quote]
Personally I would have kept the decal facing down but hey that's me ! Love the whippings, what did you use? They really complement the cane. :Hat:
[/quote]

I know (re. the decal) I agonised over that but hey, when you make a decision like that you have to stick with it. The thread is Gudebrd nylon A Sunburst 200 and the green is nylon A from FishHawk dark green 896. Impressed with both and I used the Seymo colour preserver to keep it bright. Cheers Paul.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Hello everyone, maybe the decal was put on the underside of the rod to help protect it from direct sunlight and UV rays sunny side up may have faded the transfer in time ??? over to you.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Or it was possibly something simple like it was easier to lay the rod down on the bench with rings pointing up while the transfer was applied.

Wal.

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:59 pm Or it was possibly something simple like it was easier to lay the rod down on the bench with rings pointing up while the transfer was applied.

Wal.
Perfect simplicity! :Wink:

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Have a look at this:

Why putting the artwork on the side plate that way if the reel would 'hang' on the rod. And if you use your reel like that it will be the same pleasure to the rods logo while fishing, right?

< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”