Re: Do I need another wizard?

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Oooohhh you teaser you :Hahaha:

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

Crucian wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:15 pm
This presented me with a problem, I became worried that I might damage the rod in some way. I have never felt this way about a rod or reel before, can't explain it really...it's just such a special rod. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has felt this way.
I do this ,I find one I like ,but don't want too risk it .so I keep the originals for special occasions and try too make my own version as a user ,I have a 1930's hardy wallis wizard and I love it but rather than risk it ,I've been making my own wizard for daily use and keep my hardy wizard for special trips ,plus making your own means you can make improvements to suite yourself if you wish .I made a barbel rod to leave my Adonis for special trips and a 10ft avon come float rod (and added extra tips) to save my sealey roach etc for sunday best .

the thing is if I should break my version ,i'd immediately hatch plans for a better one .break a original and its gutting .

loving this build already .but your a terrible tease and know how keep people in suspense ,by leaving us wanting more and then disappear to south Africa .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

'Economy of scale' pundits dictate that it's barely worth picking up a chisel unless you knock out at least half a dozen replicas of this iconic rod.
I would be very happy to accept one as a late Xmas gift to add to my rod collection if your workshop gets a little cluttered.🤗

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

This was waiting for me on my return from holiday in South Africa. Lovely quality, almost like sheet rubber.ImageImage
The sheets were reduced in width using a scalpel and steel rule, then glue (PVA, the one in the blue bottle) was applied to a 1" strip down the centre of the sheet. The sheet was then wrapped around the wooden handle, with an overlap of about 1/2" and bound tightly with PVC electricians tape (Easier said than done, it was like juggling eels!) After allowing to dry overnight, a line was marked along the centre of the overlap and a cut made through both thicknesses of cork with the scalpel. The tape was then removed and the offcuts of cork removed before applying more glue and wrapping tightly once more with tape. ImageImage
After drying overnight, the tape was removed and the handle sanded. The result is quite pleasing, the joints being hardly noticable.
Turned up the shoulder collar and butt cap tonight after work.
ImageImage
Somehow, the handle has turned out a little longer at 21", than intended, but I can live with it...

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Outstanding Paul, :Hat:

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

very clever stuff Paul :Thumb:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Superb Job..

Wal.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Lovely job. I think you'll find 21 inches is a good length for the handle. I've got 2 Wizard clones which both have 22 inch handles and they feel so much better in the hand than my old gold label Wizard.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Very nicely done :Hat:

Dendrobaena
Silver Bream

Post by Dendrobaena »

Juggling eels!!! Should have come to me old boy :Wink: :Wink:
Nice work Paul :Hat: