Do I need another wizard?

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Crucian
Eel

Do I need another wizard?

Post by Crucian »

Probably not, but those of you who know me will be well aware of my affection for the Wizard.

I have been lucky enough over the years to gather together several Wizards from various makers, including Allcocks, Aspindales and Constable. All nice rods, but some nicer than others.

I was delighted when a really early green stained example came my way earlier this year. It was in good unrestored condition and only needed a set of intermediate rings, the originals being rusted beyond use. I used it for most of the summer and I am truly smitten...I rarely go fishing without it.

This presented me with a problem, I became worried that I might damage the rod in some way. I have never felt this way about a rod or reel before, can't explain it really...it's just such a special rod. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has felt this way.

I have decided to build a replica, as close to the original taper as possible. I have kindly been given a length of whole cane for the butt from my friend and fellow forum member Dendrobena. I'm not sure what type of cane this is, but it's exactly the right size and perfectly straight too. The brass fittings and ferrules shouldn't be too difficult to make. The natural sheet cork, needed to cover the wooden handle, took some finding, not wanting to use the conglomerated sheet cork which although readily available, looks wrong. Eventually found it by searching for musical instrument sheet cork and ordered some today from a company based in Bath, Jelinek Cork Group. I called them and spoke to a very helpful lady, I explained that I needed two 12 x 4 x 1/16" sheets, the same colour and with as few holes as possible. I was assured that this would be no problem and that it would be cut to my requirements and sent from Portugal. £35 delivered. Not too bad, considering it would have cost almost as much to use cork shrives. I would like to stain/paint the cane to match the original, it's a very dark green, almost black and looks very attractive.

As always, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Do I need another wizard?

Post by Paul F »

No you don’t need another Wizard :Scared:

It’s just the rod making that is bring you so much pleasure, so just make it for me :Wink:

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Paul F wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:43 pm No you don’t need another Wizard :Scared:

It’s just the rod making that is bring you so much pleasure, so just make it for me :Wink:
Actually make it two Paul :cheers: I do share your concerns about using certain rods so its not just you. :Hat:

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

I know exactly what you mean - that's why I've got 3 Chapman 500's!

Maybe I should make another just in case :Chuckle:

If you have whole cane for the butt you're already 1/3 of the way there... so I say make another :Ok:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Now, you know you cant have enough Wizards.....I have an Allcocks Super Wizard which I recently restored and I love it!
So, go for it make another Wizard, you know you want to, you'll regret it if you don't! Its a bit of a no brainer really, don't even know why you're hesitating....get that cane split and knock up a Wizard...errr don't suppose you want to make two by any chance????
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Shed_Monkey wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:03 pm I know exactly what you mean - that's why I've got 3 Chapman 500's!

If you have whole cane for the butt you're already 1/3 of the way there... so I say make another :Ok:
Three!
Gonna have to get into this rod making lark......I keep reading the texts you sent me!

Dendrobaena
Silver Bream

Post by Dendrobaena »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:14 pm
Shed_Monkey wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:03 pm I know exactly what you mean - that's why I've got 3 Chapman 500's!

Three!
Gonna have to get into this rod making lark......I keep reading the texts you sent me!
FOUR!!!!!!
"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something."

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Dendrobaena wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:31 pm
Jeremy Croxall wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:14 pm

Three!
FOUR!!!!!!
What!! that's just greedy!!!

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Progress so far today;

Selected a piece of timber for the handle. Had a choice of spruce or ash, went with the spruce as it's straight grained and a fair bit lighter than the ash.
Then onto the lathe and turn to size.

Hole bored in top of handle to take the whole cane, this was done with the handle held in a collet in the metal turning lathe to keep it on centre and true.

Whole cane glued into handle and ready for the sheet cork when it arrives from Portugal.

Handle length increased by 1"

A photo of the whole cane, note the wall thickness. It's extremely stiff and almost perfectly straight, wish we could get this quality nowadays.

That's it for a while, We're off to South Africa on the 29th.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

I love these types of threads. Please keep us updated on progress and happy holidays.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”