Lucky strike blue whipped

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Barbel
Minnow

Lucky strike blue whipped

Post by Barbel »

Hiya i ve bought a blue whipped lucky strike over xmas the blue whippings are pale compared to some of the refurb ones i ve seen on forum the rod is dated back to the forties and there is a letter certifying of a reputable rod builder that its been refurbed to original colour the question is did the colour blue change shades as time moved on or is it that the original blue silk could nt be found anymore and a alternative has been used i ved seen one on andrew davies website in a different blue.

Cheer s Erici

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Lucky strike blue whipped

Post by Tengisgol »

I don’t know too much about the specific rod but I suspect in some cases - certainly at B James - they used (silk-wise) what they had or could get hold of. I wouldn’t get too hung up on the shade of the silk (and yes, once on the rod, they all faded and changed a bit over the decades).
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have a Sealey Supreme that is whipped in blue but it looks like a dark navy or black. The actual thread is a much lighter blue underneath so mine has gone the other way and darkened rather than lightened.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

I stand to be corrected but I've heard "kingfisher blue" mentioned before, the later yellow ones being "marigold yellow"

Barbel
Minnow

Post by Barbel »

Thanks for the info the colour does nt bother me i like it i was just wondering if it was path of the course over a period of time

Barbel
Minnow

Post by Barbel »

The whippings do look like a kingfisher blue so thanks for the info . Ta9

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

The original blue silk on these did fade to a much lighter colour. When I stripped mine down I was amazed at how vibrant the original colour was. For the record, the nearest match I found at the time was Gudebrod Royal Blue and for the later yellow ones, Gudebrod goldenrod. Though of course the gudebrod thread is no longer being made.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”