Super Wizard question

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Duckett
Tench

Super Wizard question

Post by Duckett »

Ever since I managed to put a set in one of my cane rods landing a carp, I’ve decided to be a lot more careful about the breaking strain of line I use with each of my rods. I’ve almost completed a process of checking suggested breaking strains, largely on this site, but I’m having a real problem coming up with a bs figure for my Gold Label Super Wizard.

I’ve read stories of them landing some very large fish and have seen photos of them with carp that look to be high singles in weight. What would experienced heads recommend?

Thank you in advance :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Re: Super Wizard question

Post by Chubman »

5lb line max, a wizard will handle barbel or carp up to 10lb,just dont push your luck with anything bigger or you will destroy the rod

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I would go to 6lb but no more! Just don't raise the rod too much whilst playing bigger fish, and go easy!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

I used 3.2 with mine and I only ever used it for float fishing, I really wouldn't want a 10lb barbel on the end tbh.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Santiago wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:52 am I would go to 6lb but no more! Just don't raise the rod too much whilst playing bigger fish, and go easy!
Wise words

Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Thanks for all of this chaps.

I think I've got the keeping the rod low when playing fish on auto-pilot now and I only ever float fish or freeline ....... miserable sinner that I am, ledgering has always bored me rigid.

I think I'll take the middle route of these helpful suggestions and use 5lb with a 4lb hook length.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”