Allcocks Carp / Avon.

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Cat
Chub

Allcocks Carp / Avon.

Post by Cat »

Hi All,
I've just acquired an Allcock Carp Avon...my first cane rod... lovely, with just the Carp end section (if anyone has a spare Avon end, I'd be more than interested - hen's teeth I would imagine!) It's possibly / probably had the top section rebuilt at some point, but nevertheless, it's in wonderful condition, and exactly what I was after (I think and hope).
I'm intending to combine it with an Altex No2 Mk5, and was thinking of running 6lb and 8lb line through it. My first question is, would this sound like the correct balance for small to medium carp and tench?
The combination will only be used on nice sunny days, but do I clean it off with a sportsman's cloth, or just a cotton one before hanging up?
Any other tips on looking after cane, appreciated.
Thanks Cat

Keston
Tench

Re: Allcocks Carp / Avon.

Post by Keston »

I can imagine you must be quite chuffed, they are a lovely looking rod with a great action.
I must tentatively put mine up for sale after seeing a mint one sell for a lot of money .

Apparently quite a few have lost their Avon tip sections .
6 or 8 lbs will work fine , there was a post with an original advertisement somewhere , I think they were only made for a limited number of years from around 1968/9.

Edit .. just found the adds , from 1967 it seems. No line guide information on the adverts.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi Keston,
That was quick! Thank you. Yes, I've seen the original post, and having paid £100, I'm quite happy, as they seem quite rare. Mine hasn't come with the original bag, but it's a 'user' anyway.
Cat

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Cat wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:02 pm Hi Keston,
That was quick! Thank you. Yes, I've seen the original post, and having paid £100, I'm quite happy, as they seem quite rare. Mine hasn't come with the original bag, but it's a 'user' anyway.
Cat
Youve got a lot of rod for a bargain price . Nicely done.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

"NEW FOR 1967" the catalogue reads. I think they were only made for 1 year - but stand to be corrected.

They cost 319/6 inc PTax. The sort after "Avon Superb" was only 184/7 inc P Tax!

I have one but each tip has its own original butt section - so 2 rods in fact. A one off!

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks...that was a pretty serious amount of money back then!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It was! More expensive than the "Billy Lane " rod at 13ft - costing 297/- . And the 14.5ft "Benny Ashurst" match rod at 314/6.
Two sort after rods at the time .

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I have and use an Allcocks Carp/Avon - I was fortunate mine was complete including the original bag but required some tlc which was administered by Andrew Davis to his usual and very high standard.

I use the Avon top with 6lb line and the Carp top with 8lb line. The rumour is the Avon tops tended to break just above the male ferrule but I do not know how true that is. I try to use my rods with care and have no fears using the Avon top with 6lb line. With the Carp top and 8lb line I have managed Carp to just over 20lbs.

It is a fine rod in my opinion and Andrew Davis did comment that the quality of the cane was very good. If you want an original Avon top and cannot find one I am sure Andrew Davis would make you one. Incidentally the ferrule and rings on both tops are the same it is only the cane taper that varies.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you both... appreciated. Is Andrew on the TFF?

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Cat wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:34 pm Thank you both... appreciated. Is Andrew on the TFF?
He is indeed on this Forum - Look under Traditional Rods and you will see Andrew J. Davis - I think he might post here as 'James' but I would go via his e.mail address on his website.

If he does not have the taper for the Avon top I would be happy for him to have my original Avon top to make you one.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”