Just picked up a Wizard, can anyone help please?

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Just picked up a Wizard, can anyone help please?

Post by Tengisgol »

I’ve just collected this from a friend, it was her father’s rod and she’d like to sell it to a good home.

It needs completely restoring. The cane is good with no delamination. The tip and butt ring are fine but the intermediates will need replacing. A ferrule is knocking but I can’t see yet if that is loose at the rod or whether a ferrule clean will get them pushed tight and sort that. I suspect the former, so the ferrules (one or both) will need re-setting. The button is missing.

First, can anyone date this roughly and second, what would it be worth in this condition and then if it were restored?

Thanks in anticipation!

Last edited by Tengisgol on Sun May 26, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Harry H
Tench

Re: Just picked up a Wizard, can anyone help please?

Post by Harry H »

Can't help with your questions Phil but that looks a lovely rod :Thumb:
Richard
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Hi Phil... I got mine in a job lot for £130 that included 3 rods and 3 reels..... I'd say in unrestored condition approx £80 and restored about £180... but I'm guessing.... it's worth what someone wants to pay.... Wal restored my Wizard to original colours and spec and it's a lovely rod to use, I think that date wise, it's early - mid 60's someone will be along with a bit more info I daresay
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Not sure about the date but would guess somewhere between mid fifties to early sixties? Someone on here will have a more qualified view on its date of manufacture. As to value, the market is a bit depressed at present by all accounts but in its present state I would guess between £60 to £90?
I have seen Super Wizards fully restored at £250 recently but I think that's a bit OTT. You ought to get £165 £185 restored I would think at present market values but that's just my opinion and it would be useful to have some further opinions to get a better idea of values.
Last edited by Jeremy Croxall on Mon May 27, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Phil,
lovely rods these. Own a Super Wizard and use it quite often. Mine was bought when I had no idea and I payed more than 200 quid for a nice conditioned unrestored newer example. I say newer as mine has the green rectangular logo. Golden oval should be earlier models. Someone will know with proof.
I had also a knocking but not loose female ferrule on mine (the bigger one). I solved that using a lathe and collet (round one) to shrink it a little bit so the counter now fits in nicely.
Ah, position of the logo is correct on the underside :Hat:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It's post-war due to the lack of black varnish and the gold oval transfer, but not one of the first as it doesn't have tenoned ferrules. Neither is a late one as it doesn't have the green, black and white transfer.

So, somewhere between 1950 and 1964 then, sorry I don't know how to be more accurate. The missing black button would have had a green felt washer beneath it, I believe.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Nobby wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:17 pm It's post-war due to the lack of black varnish and the gold oval transfer, but not one of the first as it doesn't have tenoned ferrules. Neither is a late one as it doesn't have the green, black and white transfer.

So, somewhere between 1950 and 1964 then, sorry I don't know how to be more accurate. The missing black button would have had a green felt washer beneath it, I believe.
Thanks Nobby
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”