Hardy Rod Manufacturing Dates

The Hardy Rods forum.
MarkG
Grayling

Re: Hardy Rod Manufacturing Dates

Post by MarkG »

That's good Mark, I cannot open PDF on my computer but, I can do it from my local library. I will have a look later.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Mark, to open PDF files you need to download some freeware called Adobe Acrobat. It's utterly safe, uses little space and is indeed installed on most computers one buys these days already.

You can download it here:

http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

HOWEVER, please unclick the two Google Chrome and Toolbar buttons in the middle of the page or your computer will change its browser and install a new toolbar. Adobe seem to have crawled in bed with the almighty Google.....

MarkG
Grayling

Post by MarkG »

Nobby wrote:Mark, to open PDF files you need to download some freeware called Adobe Acrobat. It's utterly safe, uses little space and is indeed installed on most computers one buys these days already.

You can download it here:

http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

HOWEVER, please unclick the two Google Chrome and Toolbar buttons in the middle of the page or your computer will change its browser and install a new toolbar. Adobe seem to have crawled in bed with the almighty Google.....
One should be careful whom one crawls into bed with.
Thanks Nobby, I have just got everything working on my computer without any problems and I am loathe to upset the apple cart. But, I will keep it in mind.
I have found a website that converts any file for free. So, I converted these PDF files into a JPG image and its fine, I can look at them now. Its a useful site called ZAmZar and its very easy to use. it comes up on Google if anyone needs it..

Jaybee1954

Post by Jaybee1954 »

Hi all,
TFF "newbie" here and looking forward to engaging with you all!

On this subject am I correct in thinking that "G" prefix rods are almost impossible to date. Something to do with composite structure unless I'm mistaken.

Some while ago I acquired a very nice "Thames - The Lightweight" and have been doing a bit of a tidy up recently. It too has the "G" prefix (27431) having a whole cane butt and middle before a splice down to a built cane tip.

Anyone know this rod?

Jay

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I have seen a couple over the years. I have read that the G suffix denotes a rod of composite make-up ie: whole cane and split cane.

It might be 1933 ...two dating sites say that, but they're probably sourced from the same data.

Jaybee1954

Post by Jaybee1954 »

Hi Nobby,

Yes I had heard similarly concerning the composite make up! One estimate I got as to age was 1932-1955 so plenty of scope there. It's a very attractive rod with finely turned end stoppers so sits nicely in my starter collection. I've also acquired a Youngs of Harrow "Otter" and have been in touch with Gary Cullum regarding that.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Otter was the brand name of Youngs of Harrow...it was once very much the done thing in the UK to have a brand name

Youngs my just have borrowed their otter symbol from The Trent Otter, JW Martin.

Dokterhoo
Dace

Re: Hardy Rod Manufacturing Dates -'G' numbers

Post by Dokterhoo »

There seems to be some mystery regarding the Hardy "G" numbering system so I thought I'd pass on the info from J.L.Hardy's book "The House The Hardy Brothers Built" which should be reliable given the source. I'm afraid I can't do any fancy pdf's etc so here is a picture. If someone wants to convert it please feel free. Hope it helps.

Dok

AG Purser
Stickleback

Post by AG Purser »

I note your attachment on the numbering of Hardy rods.
would you have perchance, the date of...... 64458 A ?
it's a 2 piece,10' cane fly (?) rod, looks very old,
on the button ''Hardy's patent 5517, (containing an unmarked, brass spike)
the rings appear to be 'bronze', and non magnetic (but corroded,which i think would make them NOT bronze)
grateful for any info concerning this
am an apprentice refurbisher (probably the oldest in the Country)
80 tomorrow!..................... alan.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

AG Purser wrote:I note your attachment on the numbering of Hardy rods.
would you have perchance, the date of...... 64458 A ?
it's a 2 piece,10' cane fly (?) rod, looks very old,
on the button ''Hardy's patent 5517, (containing an unmarked, brass spike)
the rings appear to be 'bronze', and non magnetic (but corroded,which i think would make them NOT bronze)
grateful for any info concerning this
am an apprentice refurbisher (probably the oldest in the Country)
80 tomorrow!..................... alan.
Have a look at this link Alan and a happy birthday for tomorrow.

http://www.flyfishinghistory.com/hardy_ ... _dates.htm

Would the rod fall into the 1902 band.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”