i need a degree in mensa

The Hardy Rods forum.
Danny Boy
Arctic Char

i need a degree in mensa

Post by Danny Boy »

hi gents,
im in need of some help ,im trying to date a hardy Pennell fly rod ,been on the hardy website and still cant work out the date.
if anyone could assist me with the date I would be grateful.
the code on the rod is x1343

I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Re: i need a degree in mensa

Post by TemeLAD »

Hi Danny Boy - just checked the details in my House of Hardy book and the only reference to a Pennell rod is a 14ft combination rod - 3 piece, 14ft made between 1926-1934. Is that your rod? If it is then narrowing down the date may prove easier. If not what additional details can you provide? :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

yep that's the rod it was a 4 piece but the section making it a 14ft is missing ,Just above the handle the rod has Regd. Trade Mark Palakona, The Pennell .And what says no 24 of 936 hand written in Indian ink

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Sorry - also found a 3 piece 10ft 7 inch Pennell Trout made between 1893 - 1939. It quotes the 14ft rod as a 3 piece though not a 4 piece?
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

aahhaa that's the rod,mines 10ft 7" :clap: right just need to date it ,it looks bloody old

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Double sorry - also found another 3 piece 14ft made between 1885 and 1925. Right if thats your rod then the fact that the name Palakona was first registered in 1902 should help narrow things down.

John Steinbeck

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

were getting there ,just checked it again its 10ft 7" on the noise 3pc

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

The X prefix doesn't seem to appear on the list so I think the best you can do at this stage is date it between 1902 and 1925, unless someone else can help - good luck. Cheers Les :Hat:

John Steinbeck

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

ok heres the latest ,been in touch with hardys they said the rod was by H cholmondeley "pennells" trourt rod 3pc 10ft 7" steal center ,but they where having problems dating the rod ,they gave me another contact number to call which I did ,I explained the rod and the 4 digit number on which I was told it could be from the 1880's ,they asked for some photos which I have sent ,and that's where I am now.

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Well done Danny Boy - sounds as if you are making progress.

John Steinbeck

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”