My LRH Number 2

The Hardy Rods forum.
Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Re: My LRH Number 2

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Yes,nice rods these are.I use mine for Carp fishing,too...mine is of 1966,twenty years younger
than yours,Stu..you will have some fun with it..

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Well done Stu! A lovely early example.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:1946!!?? Crikey!!!

And to think, old Walker went through all that to design a carp rod when these were readily available. :Chuckle:

:Hahaha: , I have been saying that for years Stu. Yes they are perfect Carp rods but now you need a No 1, they are even nicer :Chuckle:

Wal.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

May I ask what is the thickness of the tip section just where the cane meets the tip ring, Sir?
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I'll measures when I'm next home sir, off for some angling after work.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

No hurry! Tight lines Stu!
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have a 10ft two section steel centred 1920's Hardy rod which I have used for carp fishing although it is a Salmon spinning type rod. My rod has the same type of sprung pin locking mechanism on the ferrule as this one, and I agree it is a brilliant design. My rod has the same type of reel bands as well although they are a silver base with a brass ring. Obviously the designs used on your rod had been around for some time and were so good they did not need to be improved on, no wonder Hardy is held in such high esteem..

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

That is a very nice rod SK, the 'middle' one of a range of three rods designed specifically for river spinning.
The "Studlock" ferrule was designed to overcome the constant torque that river work imposed on a spinning rod twisting the rod joint out of alignment and the use of copper wire was for additional strength at those stress points
The handle was supplied with two types of reel fitting; the adjustable position type "A" ,the one you have and the type "B" which was fixed.

To be honest, your particular example is not in original condition, having already had a "refurb." The inscription looks rather untidy and most unlike the neat writing that was applied at Alnwick and apart from the rod joints (copper wire) the original tyings were always green, tipped with scarlet on both edges with ordinary spaced, narrow, green intermediates-certainly for an LRH of that vintage and it does not have the correct Corbett type, "Agatipe" top ring.

If I may offer a little guidance..remember it has fairly steely tempered cane and was designed specifically for spinning and not for the sustained heavy demands of carp fishing, so be careful that you do not overload it!
Richard Walker designed his carp rods because there was nothing about at that time which could take the sustained punishment that a heavy carp would put on a rod.. I know that many old spinning rods are used for carp fishing today-and quite a few of them end up with their owners looking for new tops..

With sympathetic restoration, this will be a very enjoyable rod to fish with.

Regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Thank WM+, very informative and very helpful. Much obliged sir.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Nice one Stu. I've got one somewhere, needs some work, might dig it out now that I've seen yours...

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”