Hardy Wanless

The Hardy Rods forum.
Snape
Bailiff

Hardy Wanless

Post by Snape »

Any fans of these lovely spinning rods?

The 6lb versoin is my favourite and I use it for light stalking. In particular freelining worms for chub. I once hooked a 4lb barbel on it and quickly found out how little backbone it has but I managed to subdued the blighter in the end.

The 9/10lb version is a good barbel/carp stalker although it is very short at 6 feet. Dabchick from the Redmire forum stalked a lovely Redmire fish using one a few years back.

I was lucky enough to have the 2lb version for a while but it was ridiculously whippy. It was very old being from the 1930s and I took chubbing on the tiny river Evenlode but as soon as I hooked a fish and put a bend in it the cane sections at the butt blew apart and it was no more. :cry:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Champ
Chub

Re: Hardy Wanless

Post by Champ »

Yes another little wanless fan here.Mine is a 6LB.Its greenheart!.I would guess at seven feet.Ive used mine for grayling fishing with a couple of shot pinched on the line when casting to fish in clear water,i can lessen the shot and slip a float on easy enough if needed.And when after small chub and roach on streams.

Its a dainty little rod and is very very light.I usually use a 3inch Aerial poplar and three pound line with it,though i might try my Altex No 1 with it in due course.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Sounds lovely.
Not many people fish with greenheart these days. 'True traditionalism'!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Well a kind gentleman has a Greenheart rod in his shed and is due to visit the south coast in a few weeks and said I can have it....very exciting!!!! :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I bought a greenheart pike rod several years ago but it weighed a ton and I didn't like the action. I'm obviously too modern !

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

What wanless should I get for stalking carp, 7lb? It the weight given the line weight or the test curve? Fancy one you see....!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

There's a nice 6lb one on Ebay at the moment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hardy-Split-c ... 3f0dd90356
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Yeah, saw that. Thinking about it, bit I want the rod to be able to stand up to (hopefully!) 20lb plus carp... Anyone?! The victors look good as well, but i prefer the look of the wanless.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Not really my sort of thing, but a lovely looking piece of cane. It is going to be tricky to match the colour of the whipping on the butt ring. Although I know Hardy's are pretty good about things like spares.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

st.john wrote:What wanless should I get for stalking carp, 7lb? It the weight given the line weight or the test curve? Fancy one you see....!
Just saw this St.J. The 9/10lb is a lovely carp stalker. Gateleaner's brother has had a few from Redmire on his.
The weight on them is the guidance for line weight.
I had a 4lb barbel on my 6lb Wanless once and I was lucky to get it in. The rod has no power in the butt but the 9/10lb is a different story.
Otherwise the Barder carp crawler is the dogs bits....

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”