Hardy "Lockfast" joints

The Hardy Rods forum.
Tomeland
Ruffe

Hardy "Lockfast" joints

Post by Tomeland »

I presume Hardy patented this type of ferrule.
Have there been any other manufacturers which used a similar system, or perhaps even stole the idea?
I refer to the one which is twisted to lock rather than the type with a ball which is depressed and then raises into a hole in the female ferrule.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Hardy "Lockfast" joints

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I have a greenheart rod made by Braddell and Son, Belfast, which has a similar ferrule locking system to the Hardy Lockfast joint but instead of twisting the rod section to engage the lock it has free moving, spiral cut bands on the females which are turned anti-clockwise to pull the joint together and lock it in position. These are the only ones I have ever seen of this type. The brass spigots are also unusual being very long and tapered giving a really secure fit.

The joint between the middle and tip has the rim missing from the female, hence the solder showing. This may have been a regular fault and possibly why these ferrules aren't seen too often although I think silver solder would have prevented it..
A few pics below.

Wal.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Wallys-Cast on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have a Bernard and Son built cane rod that has the ferrules that twist and line up in position that you talk of. Mine are the raised type and not cut in as the pictures by Wallys-Cast above. I also have a hardy built cane rod that has the sprung ball type ferrule you also talk of.

Tomeland
Ruffe

Post by Tomeland »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was wondering how much Hardys went to protect their patent.
The Hardy type were raised as Reedling says. The Irish version was perhaps a way of getting around the patent on a good idea.
I imagine that swishing a long heavy Salmon fly rod about might cause normal ferrules to come apart.
I have been interested to find out a bit of the history of a cane baitcasting rod by Millwards called the 'Spinover'.
5'6" single top and cranked handle similar to the Hardy H.J.S. rod. A bit heavier construction than the Hardys but has the same 'Lockfast' style joint holding the rod to the handle. Mr. Drewitt's big Hardy book mentions, in the section about the H.J.S., that Hardys did some manufacturing for wartime which involved camoflage materiel for cases/covers and some postwar rods came in this materiel as rod bags, using up old stock. The 'Spinover' rod I have is also in this materiel. This made me wonder about who actually made the rod, Hardys or Millwards.
The plot thickens.....

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

J.J.S Walker took out a patent in 1910 but didn't pay the sealing fee so I assume Hardy stepped in. I'm not sure but I think he was a Hardy rod maker before going out on his own. Perhaps that was the straw that broke the camels back, a bit like the Dingley episode.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”