Hardy Surestrike Thames Style

The Hardy Rods forum.
Silexman
Ruffe

Hardy Surestrike Thames Style

Post by Silexman »

I have been checking out an old Hardy rod that I was given many years ago and would appreciate your input particularly regarding year of manufacture.
It is The Surestrike Thames Style. The serial number is G18834. All the rod lists that I have checked do not include numbers with a G prefix.
The rod is in a rather tatty Hardy bag and has nice ferule stoppers. It came with 2 tops. One is greenheart which I believe is the original. When assembled the rod is 13'4" so I think that it has been shortened and that the rod was originally 14'. The tip ring is porcelain lined. The second tip is built cane and makes the rod exactly 14'. The tip ring looks as though it is agate lined. This tip looks a little later than the rod - the whippings are a little lighter green and the rings are in a bit better condition. It does however fit into the ferule of the middle section exactly.
With either tip the rod weighs quite a bit and I wouldn't fancy a day float fishing with it. It reminds me of my youth in the 1960s fishing 5 hour matches on the Swale - wading with an 11' built cane rod. I must have been a lot tougher in those days.
Thanks in advance for any info or comments.
Mike

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Hardy Surestrike Thames Style

Post by AshbyCut »

The G prefix on the serial number designates a rod which is constructed of composite materials ... i.e. a whole cane butt and split cane tip and centre sections.

I have a Hardy Surestrike - Sheffield Style, t's serial number is G30901. ... now retired after a lengthy encounter with a carp whilst crucian fishing. Details in this thread :-

viewtopic.php?f=351&t=21459
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

G18834 = 1937
G30901 = 1953

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Silexman
Ruffe

Post by Silexman »

Thanks guys for the input. So the rod is 80 years old!!
Any ideas about the built cane tip?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

In the Hardy pages in the - viewtopic.php?f=191&t=22515- it shows 2 grades of rod! The cheaper version with greenheart tip and the superior version with built cane tip - perhaps someone was greedy!

It states that rod lengths can be "made to order". The longest shown is 13 ft - custom made?

Silexman
Ruffe

Post by Silexman »

Thanks Olly for the link but it refers to the "Lightweight Match Fisher's Rod". I've managed to get hold of a 1939 copy of the Hardy's Super Bottom Fishing Tackle catalogue and it includes the Surestrike. The rod was available with Sheffield or Thames action and included a 14' model. The top was "finest greenheart" so I suppose that my extra built cane top was a one-off.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”