Hardy Perfection Palakona 8ft

The Hardy Rods forum.
Watermole+
Chub

Re: Hardy Perfection Palakona 8ft

Post by Watermole+ »

Hampshireboy wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:17 am Thankyou very much for a very informative reply . The serial no H28481 dates it about 1961 I think. It has the Black writing above the handle but not the AFTM rating above or the stated length.The intermediate rings are all the bridge type and in good order and the whippings are Crimson. Would I be correct in saying that on the original the 2 sections should be virtually the same length? There is a 12inch difference on this one. I must be able to get the right specs for the serial number somewhere.
To the best of my knowledge Sir, all Hardy fly rods of that era had both the length and AFTM number hand-written on them somewhere, the latter just above the fly keeper ring and sometimes on the underside; at least, that has been the case in the ones I have seen. Have a good, close look to see if that has been removed and the gaps revarnished over to hide it..

You would indeed be right in that both sections are very close to the same length and if there is a whole 12" difference between them, then this rod has suffered a serious mishap and nothing less than a new top section will put it right I am sorry to tell you.
If you have bought this rod, then try somewhere like Chapmans of Ware to see if they can make you a new top for it...possibly even someone on this forum might be able to help?

If you have not bought it, then keep your money safe in your wallet and walk away from this.. If your heart is set on a rod like this, there are still plenty of good examples around at quite reasonable asking prices, but if at all possible, examine closely before parting with cash..

Apologies for being the bearer of bad news.. :Hat:

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Sounds like it was originally a 9ft rod. Probably advisable to steer clear of it.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Hampshireboy
Ruffe

Post by Hampshireboy »

Thankyou for taking the time to help me . Much appreciated. I am going to leave it alone and search out another rod. I want a little 4 or 5 weight cane rod for the small streams I fish, Wallington , Hamble. I have them in Carbon and find them perfect for these venues. Thanks again chaps. Steve

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”