Another Pre-WWII Hardy Coarse Rod Gem

The Hardy Rods forum.
Paul F
Sea Trout

Another Pre-WWII Hardy Coarse Rod Gem

Post by Paul F »

I am a big fan of Hardy coarse rods, but more especially of the early pre-WWII rods, and here I have acquired another gem :Thumb:

This is a 13ft Hardy General Rod, whole cane butt & middle with split cane tip.

The General rod was made from 1926-1955, when introduced it was only available at 13ft, in 1939 it was then offered in 13, 14, 15 & 16ft lengths.

This rod is from 1926 and all original having never been restored, it is fitted with the special bridge rings (which I love), a clear agate butt and tip ring.

The reel seat is a fixed W fitting with single band, it does need a substantial reel to balance it well, a 4" Silex fits the bill well :Wink:

It was an allround rod, designed for bottom fishing and spinning, it is a very firm action, will be suitable for chub and shoal barbel.

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Re: Another Pre-WWII Hardy Coarse Rod Gem

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Paul F wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:18 pm I am a big fan of Hardy coarse rods, but more especially of the early pre-WWII rods
:Chuckle: Where is the understatement smilie? :Chuckle:

Congratulations on another lovely acquisition :clap:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Splendid acquisition Paul, Sir. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

I have a later version of The General with a length of 11 feet . Whole cane butt and middle sections , split cane tip . The middle section has a smaller whole cane section spliced into it roughly 2/3 rds from its top. It might have been towards the " Budget " end of the Hardy range of rods but it's a delight to fish with ..

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Looks like a cracker! fantastic condition when you consider its age? Look forward to hearing of your exploits with it. Congratulations on becoming the custodian of a fine piece of English angling heritage :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

CWK wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:54 pm I have a later version of The General with a length of 11 feet . Whole cane butt and middle sections , split cane tip . The middle section has a smaller whole cane section spliced into it roughly 2/3 rds from its top. It might have been towards the " Budget " end of the Hardy range of rods but it's a delight to fish with ..
That is interesting, Hardy did not catalogue the General at 11ft, which is not unusual, maybe it was a special order which Hardy were quite happy to do for their customers :Hat:

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Paul , there is another 11foot version advertised for sale on the vintage tackle co website @ £ 425..

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Paul F wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:18 pm
CWK wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:54 pm I have a later version of The General with a length of 11 feet . Whole cane butt and middle sections , split cane tip . The middle section has a smaller whole cane section spliced into it roughly 2/3 rds from its top. It might have been towards the " Budget " end of the Hardy range of rods but it's a delight to fish with ..
That is interesting, Hardy did not catalogue the General at 11ft, which is not unusual, maybe it was a special order which Hardy were quite happy to do for their customers :Hat:
The 1955 Bottom fishing catalogue lists the General as 11 or 12ft in length I have an 11ft in very good original condition.
Many congratulations on another fine purchase Paul. :Hat:

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Simply wonderful Paul, I am very jealous... :Hat:

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Now, that's a beauty Paul :Thumb:

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”