Hardy Perfection Roach Rod.

The Hardy Rods forum.
Davyr

Re: Hardy Perfection Roach Rod.

Post by Davyr »

Great stuff - The amount of accumulated wisdom about vintage tackle on this forum just keeps on growing! :thumb:

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Yello all,

Poorly advertised Hardy Perfection Roach.....if you're interested.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-VINTAGE- ... 3f1ee72955

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Not so poorly advertised that it hasn't already gone over £300.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Just what I was thinking - I wish I'd had that one for £250 that I (reluctantly) passed by at Redditch a year or two ago.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

'IT'S A FAKE' :wink: 'DON'T BID' :hahaha: 'STEER WELL CLEAR'

at leas until i can get a bid in :wink: :hahaha:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've given up on ever being able to afford one, I know I could never make one so am in the process of executing Plan B, which is to convert a fly rod into one.

Whether or not this is a Good Idea remains to be seen.

The currently targetted victim is going to cause an outrage, I fear!

Suffice to say it has very, very dark cane. Do we have a 'maniacal laughter' icon, no? Ok

Bwaa hhaaaa haaaaa haaaa.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

The Hardy Perfection Roach Rod was aimed at the 'Sheffield' Style Match market and it would seem that many reels were placed in this 'below' half way down the handle, behind the top hand, for balance, between the wars. So a date of 1928 would seem to fit in with this, on your rod Old-CodJA.

The balance was important because these rods were designed to be held for long periods and most at the time did not 'Match Fish' with rod rests, they were regarded as superfluous to the needs of the serious float man!

It was only really R.S Walker in his monumental tome StillWater Angling that publicised the sliding rod/reel bands used in most subsequent designs of coarse fishing rod......with the reel positioned near the top of the handle. This was because most of his fishing involved using two rod rests, of his own design, whilst ledgering/legering, where 'balance' of the rod was not of primary importance because it was not held for long periods.

Good luck with your rod and I hope you Christen it with many Redfins.....the purpose it was made for!

Have I mentioned my profound love of Roach before?

Now all you need is a nice Hardy Eureka to set the rod off beautifully...........

Mole Power!!! :sun:
Say aye tae'a pie!

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Moley wrote: it would seem that many reels were placed in this 'below' half way down the handle, behind the top hand, for balance, between the wars.
What I don't understand is how you're supposed to control the reel with your thumb when it's halfway down a short handle? The only way the "balance" thing works is if the reel is in this position whilst the rod is held at the top of the handle. Am I missing something blindingly obvious? :think:

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Think I remember reading somewere that the rod was cast with one hand and then transferred to the other to rewind , this put the handles on the back side of the reel to eliminate the line catching, when trotting the reel was controlled with the little finger as opposed to the thumb. Didnt Venables fish this way, looks rather cack handed.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Davyr, the answer to your question is simple.....you don't.

In the old days the 'pin was not controlled with the thumb, I believe this is a later method. Reel control was achieved by utilising the 'Pinky!'

You see the hand was placed above the reel with the little finger controlling the reel revolutions. I still fish like this today. My little finger has wear marks permanantly in the skin. If I catch a large fish it can result in burn marks too but the beauty of this technique, which once learned is never forgotten, means that the ability to play Roach with 'soft hands' to avoid disappointing hook pulls, becomes second nature. Also the balance of even quite heavy cane rods, with the correct weight reel, of course, means the rod can be held all day without strain.

I might add at this juncture that Wallis Style casting and trotting using the pinky to control the line becomes easier, almost second nature as it just seems right and believe me when I say that you will not go back to using the thumb, for reel control again. Give the technique a go and you might just find it suits you, perhaps?

The 'old' hands used to know a thing or two and caught plenty of fish long before R S Walker ever showed us 'how to fish'. Because if you remember many of these guys used to fish for the pot and failure to catch meant empty bellies.

Also believe me when I say I'm not even attempting to belittle the impact Walker had in nearly all aspects of freshwater fishing, which was truly immense, just that he was not always right and neither are those who slavishly follow his writings without thinking for themselves......something Richard always stressed every angler should do!

I hope I have not upset anyone, for that is not my intention, but merely to highlight and make others aware of another interesting facet of this great sport of ours!

Let's face it, I love fishing and have spent most of my 61 years doing what I love, especially with regard to Roach, trotting, tea and cake. For I have realised that for me every minute on the bank is a joy to be savoured, with each outing becoming a mini adventure, if you like. Perhaps this is why I still get the 'shakes' every time contact with a nice fish is made and am still enthusiastic to get out there in all weathers, despite having done so for over fifty years.

Even sadder is the fact that when not actually fishing, I seem to spend the rest of my time reading about, talking about, writing about or thinking about glorious FISHING!

Matron just thinks I'm sad.............

Mole Power!!! :sun:
Say aye tae'a pie!

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”