Bringing back a 99 year old Hardy to life

The Hardy Rods forum.
Barbellina
Roach

Bringing back a 99 year old Hardy to life

Post by Barbellina »

I recently acquired a 1920 Hardy Perfect FWK Wallis Nottingham rod in pretty poor shape. After discussion and encouragement from "James" and "Paul F" I decided to have a go at restoring the old girl back into some useable shape.
The cane looked reasonable although a break 6" from the tip ensured that she became an 11 footer when completed. The ferrules were well fixed and just needed blackening, the cork came up pretty well with a good scrub and the end wooden button needed filling and shaping before painting. The original jappanned rings were unfortunately beyond help, so I coaxed/pleaded with a mech engineering guy at work to make me a new set out of stainless steel welding rods which were then powder coated and oven baked to ensure a nice finish. Paul F kindly sent me the some whipping silks in the correct colour and some excellent Mylands No 8 lacquer.
Filled with trepidation I set to and started the whipping. Paul F luckily was always on hand to offer encouragement and advice as I went through trials and tribulations, repeatedly whipping and removing said whippings, as I tried to produce an acceptable end result. I knew I had to get a move on as this heatwave was causing my Mylands to turn to treacle before my eyes even though I was storing the pot in a container of water in a cool dark place.

Well here are the before and after piccies. To be honest I am relieved not to have completely wrecked the rod because at one point I envisaged having to send it to a "proper" restorer. However I do feel an enormous sense of achievement and looking back I did enjoy the whole process.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/SBRdyQ9.jpg

I may keep my eye our for an old Corbett to restore for use on the Trent for Barbel! :cheers:
"Angling is a refuge from competitiveness, from rat-racing, from status-seeking. So let it remain."
Bernard Venables

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: Bringing back a 99 year old Hardy to life

Post by Barbelseeker »

Well done Sal, any Engineer would be proud. Betters my febble attempts.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Very nice indeed :Hat: I particularly like the fact that you had rings made to suit - that's dedication to the job

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

That is a great job, well done. Next!
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Very nice indeed. Your engineer friend deserves a pat on the back to. The transformation once the old varnish is of the cane is remarkable.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Nice job well done, there will be more sense of achievement to come when you land your first fish with it. :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Barbellina
Roach

Post by Barbellina »

ImageThought I'd add a picture with my favourite reel too.

Thanks for all your kind comments :Hat:
"Angling is a refuge from competitiveness, from rat-racing, from status-seeking. So let it remain."
Bernard Venables

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

A job well done there :Hat:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Lovely...well done!

Gone Fishing
Dace

Post by Gone Fishing »

Like a metamorphosis. You have done a very good job. The result is great. :Hat:
Markus.
Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers