Hardy LRH No 2 Spinning Rod 9' 6"

The Hardy Rods forum.
TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Hardy LRH No 2 Spinning Rod 9' 6"

Post by TemeLAD »

I have just acquired the above and having checked the production number (through the reference pages in the terrific book - the House the Hardy Brothers Built - written by JLH) from the list of numbers I have established it was made in 1940 (a year in to the 2nd WW).

This rod type was made from 1936 through to 1979.

No photos at the moment but will add some later. It looks all original though it doesn't have the domed head cork handle or the claret tipped green whippings and copper wire whippings to the butt section of the later models. It has instead, claret whippings throughout, opaque agate rings throughout, except the butt ring. It has black anodised, independent sliding lock nut reel bands and a small white rubber butt button. The cork handle is very slender and flares to a trumpet shape.

The bag has the rod in hand logo label and is superbly made in cotton drill complete with stopper pocket in a camouflage pattern material.

Seeing the rod bag and white rubber button are 1st's for me.

Does anyone have a 1939-40 Hardy's catalogue (I understand this version was used throughout the war years) that references the rod to help me confirm the above - any help gratefully received.

Thank you :Hat:
Last edited by TemeLAD on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: Hardy LRH No 2 Spinning Rod 9' 6"

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I've just got one a few weeks ago. Yet to use it.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Photos as promised:

Any details from 1939-40 Hardys catalogue very much appreciated - thank you :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Any chance that anyone at least knows the line rating for this rod?

Fingers crossed!

John Steinbeck

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

TemeLAD wrote:Any chance that anyone at least knows the line rating for this rod?

Fingers crossed!
At a guess I would say it would be quite high as the test curve is do high. Perhaps 10lb+ might be appropriate.

I'm sure there was an old rule for working out line ratings. Something like TC X 5 or something for the upper limit. I cannot remember what it was but I remember reading about it on here somewhere.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It's a spinning rod, I believe so wouldn't have had a line-rating I think. It also pre-dates us using the AFTMA ratings too, I think.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Nobby wrote:It's a spinning rod, I believe so wouldn't have had a line-rating I think. It also pre-dates us using the AFTMA ratings too, I think.

AFTMA ratings?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I was told years ago that the camouflaged rod bags and black fittings were only made for rods supplied during the war years or for rods supplied to the military. (soldiers often fished whilst on duty abroad for recreation and as a means of supplying a healthy food source).
The white button is unusual and is the first I have seen on a Hardy rod.
As for line ratings I have it written down that the LRH No 1 is 10-12lb class, the No 2 is 12-15lb class, and the No3 is 15-20lb class.

Wal.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Very informative. Thanks, Wal. The number 2 does seem rather heavy. I am starting to think a number 1 might have been better. I'll know better when I've taken it out and had a good fish. I'll be using it for carp of 12lb+ and big pike hopefully.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Churchill
Bleak

Post by Churchill »

Hi MD, there wasn't a 1939/40 Hardy Catalogue . . but here's the scan from the 1937.

I've an LRH No 3 here which is shown on an earlier thread. For sale if anyone's interested. . . :Wink:

Brian

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”