MkIV carp rods - the beginning

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Chris Ball
Bleak

MkIV carp rods - the beginning

Post by Chris Ball »

Sometime ago I mentioned about telling some of the history of the MkIV carp rod and seeing there is much interest in this topic, thought I’d write a few words about the MkIV carp rod development.

The following hand written account by Richard Walker gives the basic outline of how he arrived at what was to become known as his MkIV carp rod. This priceless artefact was part of the provenance of Walker’s MkIV No 1 (the Clarissa rod) that came with the rod when I purchased it in 1982.

By early 1952 Dick realised that rod making was taking up too much of his time and mentioned this to friend Ken Sutton, who in turn suggested he contact B. James & Son of West Ealing. Through the summer of 1952 Jim Bruce of B. James supplied a couple of MkIV examples for Dick and Pete Thomas to evaluate, and it is believed that the second rod supplied was in use by Pete Thomas on the Redmire visit in mid September when Dick landed the 44-pounder on his own MkIV. Shortly after this an agreement of sorts (no money changed hands) was made between Jim Bruce of B. James & Son and Walker to supply finished rods and at the same time Dick assisted J. B. Walker who supplied the MkIV in kit form.

We know the first or maybe first two batches (much conjecture surrounds how many constitute a ‘batch’, but general opinion suggests around 20 in a batch) of the B. James & Son Richard Walker MkIV carp rod were actually signed by Dick in indian ink before the top coats of varnish were applied. These I call the ‘Signature’ rods which still had the Built to Endure and older style of B. James logos applied. Over the years a number have come to light and commanded high prices.

The rush of orders for the B. James & Son Richard Walker MkIV’s prompted Jim Bruce to dispense with sending further batches for Walker to sign and did it himself (rather poorly) in the Ealing workshop. Again a number of these rods have been found over the years.

It was in late 1952/early 1953 that an all new livery was given to the B. James range of rods, gone was the Built to Endure logo and old style company insignia to be replaced by the iconic transfer decals which lasted until production ceased in 1966. With the MkIV and the later produced MkIV Avon Walker’s signature was also created and applied to the rod in the characteristic diagonal ‘around the rod’ style.

Here is a collection of early MkIV’s starting with Dick Walker’s own rod.

Left to right: Dick Walker’s MkIV No 1 - built in the winter of 1950, B. James & Son Walker ‘Signature’ rod - built in October 1952, Jim Bruce ‘Signature’ rod - built late 1952 the initials CG signifies the rod belonged to Cliff Glenton and finally an all-new production MkIV complete with Ealing address, the word MkIV plus the Richard Walker signature decals - built early 1953.

Hope this is of interest... it’s a fascinating subject.

Reedling
Catfish

Re: MkIV carp rods - the beginning

Post by Reedling »

Thanks for sharing that, I do not own a Walker rod myself but often wondered how it all came about....now I know. :Hat: Reedling.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Very many thanks for this. As you rightly state; a fascinating subject. Great to have in your possession some of angling's history too. I have one of the James MKIV versions from the 60's and two of the "kit" rods from around that period or thereabouts. Interesting that Walker himself thought the Test Curve around the 24 ounces....I don't think any of mine are at that level but am a little reluctant to stick a 2 lb weight on the end and bounce it up and down....eeeeeek !

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks for the info! I'm lucky enought to have a mystery MKIV that I believe to be a JB Walker kit rod from 1956, at least all the dimensions indicate this! And the cane is steely and dark and I estimate the tc to be about 2lb judging by the lack of bend in the rod (but that was only a 4lb carp); I really must get around to testing it but as Barbulus stated, who would want to put a 2lb weight on the end! For some reason (which escapes me) I always thought it was a Southwell blank; I think I read somewhere that he supplied JB Walker, and it has all the characteristics I've read about, so it's all a mystery to me really but the main thing is to catch with it.

The rod in question has Mark IV 1956 RAY written on it in indian ink and has no intermediates, and was an absolute ebay bargain! This summer it will face double figure Thames barbel (if I'm lucky, I only caught a 2lber last year). Here's the link, anyone recognise that handle viewtopic.php?f=192&t=11200

I'm also lucky to have a mystery MKIV Avon kit rod, whose origins I have no idea but the dimensions were those of JB Walker, and again the cane is dark and steely, but is now a little shorter than the original due to the restoration required to make it fishable.
Last edited by Santiago on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Cheers Chris,

I can read this sort of thing all day with a total fascination that never wanes :holmes: :read:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Many thanks for posting that Chris. It is indeed a fascinating subject.

Pete

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Many thanks for posting this interesting part of rodbuilding history.
What a great "engeneer" Dick Walker must have been....

Fantastic read

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thank you Chris, very informative.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I don't own a MkIV but can certainly appreciate the history. Didn't RW have neat writing. Ha..
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Thank you for posting, as others have written I could read this angling history all day long.
Barbulus wrote:Interesting that Walker himself thought the Test Curve around the 24 ounces....I don't think any of mine are at that level but am a little reluctant to stick a 2 lb weight on the end and bounce it up and down....eeeeeek !
Barbulus – 24oz = 1.5lbs. :Happy:
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”