Grebe

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Grebe

Post by AshbyCut »

I simply couldn't resist !!!

Winging it's way to join The Thicket of non-Precision/Bernard Sealey rods is ...

A B. James & Son, doughnut handled, 2 piece, 8ft. 7in. "Grebe."

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Hovis
Tench

Re: Grebe

Post by Hovis »

Very nice Mal. I'd be interested to hear more about it when it arrives. Do you know what sort of action it has?
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Hovis wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:00 pmVery nice Mal. I'd be interested to hear more about it when it arrives. Do you know what sort of action it has?
It's been described to me by a friend as 'an ideal chub rod' ... though as I only fish still waters I'm hoping it will add to my tench rods. More to follow when it arrives.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Looks like New!! Well done, a little short for tench I would have thought unless very close In, a fine small river rod though if you ever decide to fish running water. :Hat:

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

I'm not surprised you couldn't resist, its a mighty fine looking rod . Congratulations.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

AshbyCut wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:05 pm
Hovis wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:00 pmVery nice Mal. I'd be interested to hear more about it when it arrives. Do you know what sort of action it has?
It's been described to me by a friend as 'an ideal chub rod' ... though as I only fish still waters I'm hoping it will add to my tench rods. More to follow when it arrives.
That's interesting as I always thought these were much stronger. It certainly looks in great condition.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

It's a lovely looking rod Mal. As a novice at this game, I can't help feeling a warm glow inside that (assuming two near identical Grebe's didn't come available at the same time) I had been looking at a rod that you couldn't resist! In the end, after much gazing, I opted for a longer Chapman's Hunter instead.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Well done Mal, I have always liked the look of the Grebe, they just look and feel so nicely proportioned.

I was looking at a Hardy Egret at Redditch last year and thought how similar it looked to the Grebe. Has anyone got them both to compare, if not Mal you know what to do.. :Chuckle:

Wal.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

looks a loverly little rod ,should do ok for some early morning margin tench fishing .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Lovely rod and perfect for chub fishing on small streams and rivers. I know some folks have used them for carp stalking but the Grebe might be a bit light for that depending on the size of fish and the situation you've got to winkle them out off. I believe there was a Grebe Major made as well which I presume might be a stepped up version.

I very much look forward to your reports of the rod once you've used it.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”