The one that landed Clarissa

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Woodytia
Crucian Carp

The one that landed Clarissa

Post by Woodytia »

I'm not sure how many members listen to the Sunday morning angling programme on Talksport, but I was interested to hear that the Richard Walker's rod that landed Clarissa has a new owner, needless to say it is value precludes actual use, but I for one would love to see it just to compare it with the production rods that were made as a result of its creators success.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: The one That Landed Clarissa

Post by Santiago »

The rod in question actually landed a carp that Richard Walker named Ravioli. The carp in question was taken to London Zoo where it was, for reasons unknown to me, re-named Clarissa, and was kept there until it died, but I don't think whilst it was called Clarissa and in the care of the zoo that anyone caught it with rod and line. Apologies for being pedantic!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

This is a surprise if true.
I would be interested to hear what Chris Ball has to say.... :Confused:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I was listening to Pete Thomas's account yesterday of him landing that fish for Dick as everyone called him. Unfortunately the rod never stopped Ravioli reaching the sanctuary of underwater brambles. In another interview I listened to afterwards by Richard 'Dick' Walker he went on to say how badly cut up Pete was after landing that fish. Cuts all over his chest and arms. Quick thinking by Thomas was what landed Walker's record. Now whilst we are questioning names. The Carp Catchers Club referred to each other by their surname only.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Snape wrote:This is a surprise if true.
I would be interested to hear what Chris Ball has to say.... :Confused:
Chris Sandford has purchased it. Good it has gone to a proper genuine collector and angler who actually uses and appreciates traditional gear too. It can now sit at the side of its brother that was owned by B.B.

Interesting that Chris has commissioned 2 copies to be made for him to fish with which would indicate the commercially available Mk IV's were different to Walker's own MkIV.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Would be interested to know the rodmaker Shaun, I suspect he may be at the start of a very lucrative commercial venture !!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Mushy wrote:Would be interested to know the rodmaker Shaun, I suspect he may be at the start of a very lucrative commercial venture !!
Our very own Andrew Davis does already make exact replicas of the 'Clarissa' rod and J.T has the first one that was made and he has caught a Redmire carp with it. :)
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Santiago wrote:The rod in question actually landed a carp that Richard Walker named Ravioli. The carp in question was taken to London Zoo where it was, for reasons unknown to me, re-named Clarissa, and was kept there until it died, but I don't think whilst it was called Clarissa and in the care of the zoo that anyone caught it with rod and line. Apologies for being pedantic!!
Ravioli/Clarissa at London Zoo

There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Delighted that, if true, the rod is now with Mr. Sandford. A Gentleman, as evidenced by his act of kindness in holding the door open for, and offering help to, a certain TFF member (ok, t'was I) at a Redditch Fair when others let it close on him. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Mushy wrote:Would be interested to know the rodmaker Shaun, I suspect he may be at the start of a very lucrative commercial venture !!
Retired from it and doesn't want anyone knowing he is making more. :Hat:

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”