The one that landed Clarissa

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Mushy
Arctic Char

Re: The one that landed Clarissa

Post by Mushy »

Out of interest, does anyone have a photo of the special reel winch fitting ?
Best Fishes
Mushy

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

In Four Seasons Sunday 15 June 1980 on page 208 there is a drawing and a note "The Bishop 51lbs 6ozs taken on R Walkers own Mk IV Avon and a Youngs Ambidex..." The diary entry reveals that he had two rods with him that day, a Mk IV and a Mk IV Avon. The entry on 17 August mentions that he had bought a second Avon and fished with 3 rods, 'all of them Mk IVs'. On 23 October he refers to 'Avon 3". In River Diaries page 17, 7 July 1982 he notes that "the tip of the Walker Avon had snapped" and that on 10 July, he had "spliced the carp bashed Avon".

His Diaries therefore record that he had at least 2 Mk IV Avon rods, Walkers own rod and one he bought in July 1980.

I stupidly referred to Clarisa in an earlier post, I should have written Bishop.

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

Anyone likely to go to the viewing day?
I did go to one when they were at Chiswick town hall
but the new venue is a bit far for me these days!
A report back from there would be of interest for me at least.
It's all a most curious development I must add!
Just seen SS's post as I was writing this, it makes things
even more curiouser!

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

Mushy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:33 am Out of interest, does anyone have a photo of the special reel winch fitting ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Many thanks !
Best Fishes
Mushy

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Jardine wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:42 pm
Mushy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:33 am Out of interest, does anyone have a photo of the special reel winch fitting ?
So, Mem, is that definitely the Walker built MKIV Avon?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

it's the one that Chris Ball identified as the rod that was used to capture the Bishop. I'm working from my IPhone so it's quite difficult to keep up with everything, but I cropped the photo from the picture that I took of both the Chris's holding the Bishop rods and the Clarissa rods. So I believe it to be the Walker built Avon , as stated by Chris Ball.
When I get back home I'll try and find a high resolution image of the same picture, it may be clearer.
Best regards
Mem

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

The rod being held by a very young me (!) is Walker's MKIV on which he landed Clarissa and Chris is holding the Walker built MKIV Avon on which he landed The Bishop - broken and spliced tip from an adventure at Sheepwash involving a double figure mirror and a ducking! The reel on the Clarissa rod is the Ambidex with which Chris landed The Bishop. Photograph at a Rivertree Golden Scale Club Opening Night in the early 1980's.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Skeff wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:42 pm The rod being held by a very young me (!) is Walker's MKIV on which he landed Clarissa and Chris is holding the Walker built MKIV Avon on which he landed The Bishop - broken and spliced tip from an adventure at Sheepwash involving a double figure mirror and a ducking! The reel on the Clarissa rod is the Ambidex with which Chris landed The Bishop. Photograph at a Rivertree Golden Scale Club Opening Night in the early 1980's.
Is it me, or there meant to be as photo here, Skeff?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

There is meant to be a photo but I can't get the Tinypic technology to work!!

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”