Bruce James Avocet

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Galician
Ruffe

Bruce James Avocet

Post by Galician »

Hi, I've just purchased an Avocet which is in original condition other than 1: there is a nocking in the butt ferrule when rod is assembled and 2: all the guides need replacing. I've never come across ferrules nocking and am at a loss as to how to deal with this, especially when you feel both the male and female parts are extremely tight to the Rod. I will replace all the guides with new but am not certain of the colour of the silk used?
Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Galician

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Bruce James Avocet

Post by Paul F »

Hi Galician,
Sorry you have no replies to your post, it must be a bit deflating as a new member.

I can't help you with the colour as the original will be impossible to find, but hopefully someone will read this and advise the best match.

With regards to the ferrules, I would start by gently cleaning them with hand soap, warm water and kitchen towels/cotton buds, do not use anything abrasive.

When clean and dry, check the fit, if they still knock, there is a cheat where you rub candle wax on the male counter ferrule and see if this takes up the knocking.

If after this they still knock, chances are they will need replacing, you can search for old threads on the forum on how to do this, or call on one of the experienced member who may do this for you at a small change.

All the best
Paul

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Please accept my humble apologies as well, I read your post then promptly forgot to reply, A pm to our very own Dr Cane (Wal....wallys cast) may help, he restored my Avocet a couple of years ago, as well as making a absolutely first class job of it he also re-whipped it as it left the factory. :Hat:

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

The whips are burgundy or dark green. I used Gudebrod nylon to replace a whipping on one of my B.James rods and found it an excellent match so long as I didn't treat it before varnishing and let the varnish darken it a little.
Welcome to the forum.

Troutbeck :Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

The way to check if it's a worn ferrule or a loose ferrule causing a knock is to assemble the rod and hold the ferrule whilst waggling the rod. You should be able to feel where the movement is occurring. Does the male ferrule go all the way into the female? If it does then it sounds like it has worn.

If the ferrule has worn then it will be a challenge to find a new one of the correct size. There are ways to fix a worn ferrule, but you'll be best advised to leave this to an expert like Wallys Cast.

I'm going to be not far from you one day next week as I'm with a client in the area. I could have a quick look at the rod for you if we can arrange a mutually convenient time. PM me if you want to do this.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Wally fixed a knocking ferrule on my rod (the possible Dawsons rod) it stemmed from the ferrule coming lose on the cane, but as the ferrules were pinned they did not come off this caused a "Knock " when the rod was waggled.. if the ferrules are not pinned it may be possible to remove them with some gentle heat to soften the glue, remove the ferrule, clean up the cane and re-glue it back in place... if they are pinned however, I'd give Wally's-Cast a call... the man's a genius with cane
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Galician
Ruffe

Post by Galician »

Hi Gentlemen
Thank you all very much for your replies, as usual you have all been very helpful.
Galician

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”