B James mk4

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Black Prince
Crucian Carp

B James mk4

Post by Black Prince »

Hello gentlemen I think Iam in the right place I bought a mk4 off a dealer every ring on the top section has been rewhiped in a different colour thread except the but section rings which are in the b James purple thread this looks to be original whiping but here is what I was wondering did b James make a unlined but ring on a mk4 rod because my one looks original it is the onion shaped handle and a brass but ring no liner missing but the ring is rounded on the edge so looks like it was never ment to have the agate liner thanks in advance Mike

Northern Eel
Chub

Re: B James mk4

Post by Northern Eel »

My MKIV (onion handle) came with an unlined chrome butt ring, it was apparently an original one, the opinion was that the rod was ordered by a salmon fisherman that had requested it be unlined when it was originally ordered, im not sure how much truth there was in the story but MKIV rods were popular with salmon fishermen at the time, there wasn't a problem with it but I did have it changed to an original lined one when I had it refurbished. (for aesthetic purposes)
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

I too have an original MkIV Onion with the unlined butt ring.
I quite like the non standard look it gives.

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Yes just had a look at my one the ring does look okay and yes where it came from the salmon spinner use for it sounds right one other thing that is on my rod is the top section rings are whipped in scarlet and the inters are whipped in maroon bottom section of rod maroon whiping on eyes scarlet on the inters is that right because I have just been looking at a cost able forty four rod on this forum it was the same is this original or could it be restored thanks Mike

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”