Thread couloir

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Thread couloir

Post by Black Prince »

I have two onion handled built cane avocets one is dark purple on the whipings and the other is deep red the first one has not been restored and I think the second one has my question is is the dark purple whiping thread still available or was my second rod done with the only thread still available thanks in advance Mike also another question why is a high bell rod not supposed to be used for ledgering the force of take surely must put the same force on the rings weather float or ledger thanks Mike :Hat:

JAA

Re: Thread couloir

Post by JAA »

Black Prince wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:32 pm I have two onion handled built cane avocets one is dark purple on the whipings and the other is deep red the first one has not been restored and I think the second one has my question is is the dark purple whiping thread still available or was my second rod done with the only thread still available thanks in advance Mike also another question why is a high bell rod not supposed to be used for ledgering the force of take surely must put the same force on the rings weather float or ledger thanks Mike :Hat:
High rings can increase torsion on the cane, twisting it in other words. Typically when ledgering the line is running off to one side of the rod. That's my guess anyway. :Hat:

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

: I think your right Jaa but when you think the difference between high and low bells is probably is about 5mm (not measured them ) once the fish is hooked the strain would be the same with high or low bells it's only beacause I don't want to ruin a rod I hope some one could tell me it was okay thanks mike :Hat:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I suspect that the high bell rod is more designed for float fishing, with the high bells reducing undue contact between rod and line; whereas the low bell rod is designed with ledgering in mind. Otherwise, the high bell rod set up can be considered more versatile and will be suitable for the odd ledgering session without problems.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Thanks for the reassurance that it will be okay for the odd ledgering I bought one rod then the other a better condition one so I could use the pair for tenching thanks again Mike :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think the longer High Bells rings are jut to keep the wet line away from the rod to make casting a light tackle easier.
Casting with even a light ledger will not be affected by line sticking to a wet rod so low mounted rings are fine on a ledger rod.
If you are concerned about the rod tip twisting with stand off rings, simply change the tip ring for a low mounded one and the problem is solved.

Wal.

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Thanks for that i really like the all through action of the avocets the answer I suppose would have been to get a b James Avon mk4 rod but did not know how it would have felt plus I wanted a pair I will defiantly go down the road of getting the end eye changed thanks for putting my mind at rest Mike :Hat:

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

When restoring rods for my own use I tend to use bridge rings on the heavier (higher test curve) rods (Adonis, Avocet, etc) and high bells on the lighter rods (Wizard, etc). The only reason I do this is because I can use larger diameter bridge rings without them looking too out of place and these don't jam with debris when used in high water conditions. The heavier rods are generally too heavy to use for float fishing on rivers so I use them almost exclusively for ledgering.

If I think I might sell a rod on at some point then I will always use the rings that are generally accepted as the correct type for the rod. I've never had a rod twist due to using high bells rings.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I thought the Avocet was basically a Wizard with a longer handle ; same taper etc.etc. So it's interesting you classify one as heavy and the other as light! Now I am confused. Certainly, the Avocet style rod I have is a dream to use for trotting. Yet I equally know you know much more about cane rods than myself ; hence my confusion! :Hat:
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Did b James rods come in deep purple (not the band ) and what I would describe dark red Crimson the only reason I ask is to know which rod to get the eye done i think the Crimson one has been restored but Iam no expert is the deep purple one the more original one i suspect it is thanks Mike :Hat: Deep purple Ian Gillian :Ok: :Ok:

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”