Superb session and problems with tight ferrules

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Leon Hoogendijk
Gudgeon

Superb session and problems with tight ferrules

Post by Leon Hoogendijk »

Spend a superb week of fishing with my friend David on his French Redmire Pool with different MK IV cane rods. Together we had over 50 fish between us with some real wackers as well.., although the queen of the lake (estimated at over 55 lbs) escaped us again... Having said that, at least we can continue dreaming about her, and so the mystery goes on. We will leave the carp live in peace untill next year before giving it a try again.

At the end of the session we had great troubles in undoing the ferrule fittings. They all fitted tight but gently at the start of our session, but after a week with a lot of rain (and probably slight internal corrosion) they all locked up very tight. On two of them we even had to use W40 and pliers with rubber straps to get them apart. Does anyone of you know a way of avoiding the ferrules to lock up too tightly after a rainy session? Should we use some kind of oil or grease on the ferrules before mounting them together?

Leon

01.jpg
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.jpg
05.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Superb session and problems with tight ferrules

Post by Beresford »

Leon,

What fabulous fish and fishing. You have an enviable collection of rods there. The two on the right of the group, could you tell me who they were made by? I presume you found the rods well able to cope with such large fish?

I don't know how to prevent the ferrule issue you mention but I do know that you should never, ever put any grease or oil in a ferrule. Some say candle wax or soap is OK. The problem is that grease or oil is sticky and can attract dirt or grit. Then as sometimes happens with brake discs, the surface can get scored or damaged and in a ferrule this will cause problems.

Right over to the experts.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Fabulous fish on fabulous tackle. Well done indeed, Sir.

As Andrew Davis suggested to me this morning at Redditch ... the only 'grease' I'd put on ferrules is a slight smear of grease wiped from your face. I personally use the area in the crease just between my nostril and cheek. (I know ... I'll probably never be able to sell another rod again !!! ;-0 )
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Great fishing

Don't grease the ferrules, don't reduce them with any abrasive.

Use a mild soap to clean both male & female thoroughly of any dirt and grease, dry them and you will find they will fit better
Important to dry them after fishing, ferrule stoppers will help in storage

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

"Nose grease"! Used for centuries by tailors/etc for threading needles, etc.

""Nose grease is often recommended as a lubricant for fly fishing rod ferrules"" per Wikipedia!

And superb captures!!

Leon Hoogendijk
Gudgeon

Post by Leon Hoogendijk »

Hi Beresford, the two rods on the right are build on Chapman blanks, the first one by John Hutchinson (a traditional MK IV blank), the second one by myself (an 11' 2 lbs+ rod for snag fishing - Chapman build this blank specifically for me just before they retired).

As to the ferrule problem, perhaps it wasn't a good idea to leave the rods mounted for one full week in the rain. I will try the soap trick, and in the future take the rods apart once a day to clean the ferrule on a daily base...

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Hi Leon,

I think I have the partner to two of your rods. I've had to laugh in the past as you and I share very similar tastes in tackle. I know you've outbid me at least twice.

The Croft you know about from our past conversations but I also have a special build 11' Chapman 2lbs t/c Carp rod. It's a very powerful rod and I've been able to turn a viciously fast 15lbs torpedo from a sunken tree with it. I swear the fish was shocked by this, I could see it quite clearly in the water as I stopped it dead in its tracks. The carp appeared to look around in all directions to decide where to swim next.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

JohnN
Stickleback

Post by JohnN »

Using "nose grease" is a very old dodge, and it works. To get ferrules apart try holding the rod between you with each of your hands either side of the ferrule. ie you "push" with one hand and pull with the other, he does the same. Also seems to work better than a straight pull.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Some lovely fish there Leon, that's quite a venue. The 'man grease' suggestion does work very well. A dab from the crease at the side of the nose or behind the ear and away you go . If, however, the ferrule does bind and all the usual methods fail - providing your car is big enough - you can leave them made up and go back to them when they've been in your house for a while. I think that the problem comes when the ferrules shrink and swell due to the extremes of temperature between day and night or when the outer ferrule cools quickly during rain.

I had one that was solid so I stuck it in my room and forgot it for a while. When I went back to it the ferrule parted with ease.

If my suggestion works and you want to thank me by inviting me along on your next trip....... :whistle: :Hahaha:

RightCharlie
Ruffe

Post by RightCharlie »

Man grease every time, a wipe with a clean tissuse to clean off dirt and I rub across my forehead at the end of a hard day!
My missus says I'm a greasy B!

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”