B James & Son 'Heron'

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Crucian
Eel

Re: B James & Son 'Heron'

Post by Crucian »

Lovely rod, nice restoration too.
Must admit I've not heard of the 'Heron' before.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

A lovely rod. I had a waggle at the TFF do today and I suspect that it may be hollow built.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Never heard of it, I rather wish I had, it looks lovely.
If it's hollow built as well as beautiful...WOW!!!

Heron, Avocet and Grebe... a man with that trio of rare birds in the rack wouldn't really need any other rods, would he?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Vole wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:05 pmIf it's hollow built as well as beautiful...WOW!!!
Amongst those who waggled it at the cane and pin match yesterday ... the consensus was that it must be hollow built considering how light it feels in the hand.

Having got it home I can confirm that it's a full 11ft. 2ins. in length, with a 22 1/2 inch handle, and weighs 15.1 oz.(428gr.).

It originally had one guide on the butt section, 3 on the middle, and 4 on the tip (including the tip guide). However whoever restored it (and used the finest silk I've ever seen on a rod for the sublime inters ... 'gossamer' springs to mind) has increased this to 4 on the middle and 6 on the tip. I know this because the stains of the original guides can still be seen (which I like, as it adds to the history of the rod).

This compares to the 14.1oz. (400 gr) of my all split cane 'Avocet' which has had the same guide additions ... which is 4 inches longer, and has a 25 3/4 in. handle. As you can guess, the 'Heron' has a more powerful taper than the 'Avocet,' so I'm confident it would handle the "tench, barbel, carp, and chub" which a certain Mr. Yates says he caught on my 'Avocet' during the time he owned it.

(Now ... where can I find a 'Grebe' ????? :Wink:)
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

It isn't exactly a tiddler-stick, the Grebe; eight-and-a-half feet of elegant power, ready to do battle with anything unwise enough to attack a spinner it has flung. Probably a neat stalking rod for carp and barbel, too.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Crucian wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:23 pm Lovely rod, nice restoration too.
Must admit I've not heard of the 'Heron' before.
Have a look in Traditional fishing tackle,Traditional rods,The complete list of B James rods on the forum.There are quite a few that are very scarce.A great find Mal.I was looking for a Heron for many years.Never did find one.Very well done sir! :Hat: .

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Vole wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:57 pmIt isn't exactly a tiddler-stick, the Grebe; eight-and-a-half feet of elegant power, ready to do battle with anything unwise enough to attack a spinner it has flung. Probably a neat stalking rod for carp and barbel, too.
Apparently there are a few rare early 'prototype' Grebes at 9ft. 2in., built before the 8 1/2 foot length was settled on.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

A great rod that deserves a few good fish, I'm sure you will enjoy using it.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”