MKIV pecking order

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Snape
Bailiff

MKIV pecking order

Post by Snape »

Cribbed from the interweb (http://www.cane-rods.mistral.co.uk/Cane ... ge0014.htm )

Carp Rods

For most anglers the description ‘carp rod’ is synonymous with Mk IV. Every feeling angler wants a Mk.IV. It is an Icon, a magic wand, history made real, a touchstone, and a link with Walker’s immortality. Mark IV type rods were made by many manufacturers, many of them much better than the James’ version that is so eagerly sought for the caché of its name.

For those wanting to understand the Mk IV business better, the following excerpt from an article published in CarpWorld some years ago, may help.

The Great Mk.IV Pecking Order

As everyone knows, Dick Walker always said that he designed the Mk.IV because he felt at the time there were no rods on the market that were really suitable for big carp. In truth, there were several excellent rods available in the late 1940’s that would have performed the job very well. Dick however, knew he wanted something special, and the rest is history. As designed by Dick Walker this was a highly efficient rod that has since become a classic. It is a rod that is still in great demand today despite the fact that a good new one can now cost seventy times as much as the original. Apart from its designed use, this versatile rod can, at a pinch, be happily employed to spin for pike and salmon, or leger for chub and barbel.

Whatever the condition of an old Mk.IV it’s the provenance of each rod that governs its place in the pecking order of desirability. The vast majority of them were made by B.James of Ealing who cornered the lion’s share of the market with the invaluable advantage of Walkers personal recommendation. Whether or not they made the best Mk.IVs (and in the view of many cane experts they certainly didn’t) B.James-made rods now, as then, have the greatest appeal to the vast majority of would-be Mk.IV owners.

Carp rod collectors will know though, that there are several rods that are infinitely more desirable than the bog-standard James Mk.IV. They’re all wonderful, but to aficionados some are more wonderful than others. Leaving aside the vexed matter of values: in order of covetability, the rods grade approximately as follows:

1. Rods made by Walker’s own hands (about eight in total).
2. Rods assembled by Walker from bought-in Southwell blanks (possibly another ten rods).
3. Rods from the first batch made by B.James and signed in Indian ink by Walker himself (one batch of rods – possibly 25, although it’s possible that Walker signed other rods when asked to do so by individuals).
4. Rods from whatever source, owned by famous anglers, and with a Walker connection.
5. Rods from whatever source, owned by famous anglers.
6. Very early rods made by B.James from Bob Southwell blanks.
7. Very early rods made entirely by B.James.
8. Rods sold by The Captain in Croydon - made by Bob Southwell.
9. Rods made from Bob Southwell blanks and marketed by other shops.
10. Rods made to the original Mk.IV tapers by B.James
11. Later Mk.IVs by B.James with heavier test curve (condition here being very much more important).
12. Carp rods made to near enough Mk.IV specification by other makers. Again, condition and the reputation of the maker are of greatest importance. There are some extremely desirable rods from makers such as Constable and Sharpes, and occasional real beauties from quite obscure makers.

There are certain to be carp rod enthusiasts who would disagree with these gradings, and I wouldn’t want to offend the proud owner of any venerable Mk.IV. I’ve spoken to a few pundits about this, and the general consensus is that this list is not far wrong. This list says nothing of the actual usability of an individual rod. To a great extent this will depend upon the attitude of the owner. Chris Yates uses his priceless Grade 2 Walker rod without hesitation, whereas, as far as I know, Chris Sandford wouldn’t dream of using his ex. B.B. grade 1. Rod.

J.B.Walker rods made from kits can be good. Whatever the results of amateur handiwork in the assembly of these rods, the cane is often of stunning spring-steel quality. J.B.Walker bought their cane stocks from various sources, but it seems to have been generally excellent. The blanks that they bought in from Bob Southwell of Croydon were among the best ever made. Southwell also marketed his own Mk. IV version under the brand name of The Captain, and these are very much sought after. Because of the extra stresses imposed on the blank by Southwell’s method of pressing the cane knots, rather than cutting off the excess material, they occasionally show small linear splits in the area of the knots. Southwell’s natural successor was his one-time apprentice Ted Oliver of Knebworth, who made Southwell type split-bamboo rods from very high quality Tonkin.

A carp rod really doesn’t need to be called a Mk IV. Stalking enthusiasts will find eight and nine footers much more appropriate. Salmon spinning rods make excellent stalking rods. Carp rods do not have to be made with two equal joints. Consider rods with separate handles, and other three piece rods. The extra ferrule is anathema to many cane pundits, but some of these rods are really excellent. I offer the opinion that the Constable Superb is a much better all round carp rod than the Mk IV.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: MKIV pecking order

Post by Mark »

An interesting read Snape, I like it. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

DontKnowMuch
Roach

Post by DontKnowMuch »

Great information Snape, well found :thumb:

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

I believe that some of the early James rods were whipped in green silk, but does anybody know what colour Walker himself used for category 1 and 2 rods?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Gurn wrote:I believe that some of the early James rods were whipped in green silk, but does anybody know what colour Walker himself used for category 1 and 2 rods?
The original MKIV was whipped in brown - the top rod.
P1020435.JPG
I am sure I have read somewhere that BB's MKIV was whipped in green.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I think Chris Yates' Category 2 MkIV Carp is a green whipped one. I think the second rod in Snape's photo is the double built MkIII, another of Chris Ball's collection and rod that was 'rescued' from Walker.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Thanks for that Snape, the reason I asked is because someone came into my shop this week and told me something quite profound..He claims that his family own three Walker built rods !! His family members did fish with Dick, but I must admit his tales are sometimes 'extravagant'. He claims that the rods have the words 'Built for..........' written upon them and are indeed whipped in green. I have asked that he might bring one in to show me, time will tell, but interesting nonetheless.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

He might own the missing number 8! That would be a find and he could probably command a blank cheque asking price for it.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Beresford wrote:I think Chris Yates' Category 2 MkIV Carp is a green whipped one. I think the second rod in Snape's photo is the double built MkIII, another of Chris Ball's collection and rod that was 'rescued' from Walker.
It is indeed. Although Chris re-whipped it and altered the ring pattern so I'm not sure it is the original colour. Apparently Chris rescued it from Walker's study where it was in with a loads of bits and pieces of other rods. Walker was going to throw them away but Chris offered to take the MKIII double built rod of his hands and refurbish it.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Gurn wrote:Thanks for that Snape, the reason I asked is because someone came into my shop this week and told me something quite profound..He claims that his family own three Walker built rods !! His family members did fish with Dick, but I must admit his tales are sometimes 'extravagant'. He claims that the rods have the words 'Built for..........' written upon them and are indeed whipped in green. I have asked that he might bring one in to show me, time will tell, but interesting nonetheless.
If they say 'built for' that suggests they are someone else's (Southwell?) blanks and Walker assembled them. Still an amazing find if true though.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”